Votes: 46 76.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Gracie has stopped begging when we eat so we started giving her some people food. Always after were done eating and only in her dog bowl. R we asking for trouble down the road? we only giver a food after looking it up line to make sure its dog safe.
Sounds like you are taking a responsible approach to it. Never off your plate and healthy food. Feed the kibble first.

If you are asking about her becoming a picky eater down the road because of this, I doubt it. She will expect something after every time you eat however if it becomes a daily routine.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Both dogs get healthy leftovers including salad (with a little dressing), meats, pasta, veggies. They also eat bananas and yes, I share popcorn with both. But they get their kibble first and leftovers after dinner, not during...

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,784 Posts
I give both of mine fresh fruits and veggies, sometimes I mix in with their dry food.

They both get to lick our plates off after we've eaten, they don't beg while we are.

If it were up to my husband, he would take them to Mickey D's and buy them a hamburger, fries, and a chocolate shake-I really have to watch him, he's worse than a little kid about feeding our dogs food they shouldn't have.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We are real veggie eatters here, but only 2 of us, so when I cook and know there is too much, I steam the extra for the dogs and feed it with their kibble. The only major no-no is that Saturday breakfast is usually large and always have extra bisquits, so after the table is cleared each dog must sit and gets a bite of bisquit. Since we usually scarf down the meat, dogs don't usually get a bite, but veggies I try to give many times a week in their food. Course on vacation on our long trips they have had McDonalds kid burgers, no sauce, just bread & meat and wash it down with sticks, pine cones and anything else they can find and chew up before I fish it out of their mouths. Figure that is protein.

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Chester gets people food sometimes. I don't allow anyone to give him people food while sitting at the table since it would start bad habits. But he'll get food after we're done eating. Most of the time we like giving him fruits and veggies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ocean gets human food. Pasta, carrots, chicken, yogurt, homemade veggie soup.... She does not beg while we eat cause she has no reason for it. It's in addition to her dog food.

Can anyone explain to me WHY some people are so strong about NOT giving the dog people's food? I mean hundred years ago dogs ate anything and everything, whatever they were able to find or their master gave them. And kibble is a man-invented stuff for convenience... So what is so wrong to feed a dog the same what we eat? Our family eats pretty healthy (all organic), mostly fresh, never poptarts or little debbie, we don't even owe a microwave.. So why not? I am just curious, not starting any controversy.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Lola NEVER gets food from our plates. She only gets maybe a carrot or piece of apple. She has her food and I do not want her begging for mine.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ocean gets human food. Pasta, carrots, chicken, yogurt, homemade veggie soup.... She does not beg while we eat cause she has no reason for it. It's in addition to her dog food.

Can anyone explain to me WHY some people are so strong about NOT giving the dog people's food? I mean hundred years ago dogs ate anything and everything, whatever they were able to find or their master gave them. And kibble is a man-invented stuff for convenience... So what is so wrong to feed a dog the same what we eat? Our family eats pretty healthy (all organic), mostly fresh, never poptarts or little debbie, we don't even owe a microwave.. So why not? I am just curious, not starting any controversy.
I think perhaps the concern is because humans are omnivores and dogs are carnivores. When dogs are fed human food there could be uncertainty as to whether the dog is receiving the correct nutrients in the correct amounts it needs to keep it healthy, especially if human food is variable in quality and the dog is fed on it long term.

I am quite happy to feed my dog protein foods and some vegetables/cereals which are eaten by humans (I would rather do this than give fresh protein food which is only intended for animal feeding because human food is safer). I feed a good quality kibble as the main part of her diet and the human food makes up about 25% of what I feed her.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts