Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Penny got her staples and stitches out today. She went nuts on the slippery floor and really scared me. I had to warn everybody, including the vet, don't look at her, don't talk to her. She stayed calm after that.

The vet, her regular one, not the ortho guy, said the wound was fabulous and she was really impressed with his work.

She's lost more weight...down to 65 pounds. She's a inch taller than breed standard. That's 3 down since she tore her ligament. Even tho some of this could be muscle loss, it's actually good and we will let her go down to 60 before worrying about it. The lighter the better on that healing bone!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Penny

Sounds like Penny is all full of the dickens now!! So glad she got her staples and stitches out today.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
What a great report! I'm glad she is doing so well and got the stitches out. Her excitement at the vets reminds me of another dog also recuperating right now. He's due for a digestive enzyme test soon and I'm going to call the veterinary clinic from the car to tell them we are waiting until they have a room available so he doesn't get so excited in the reception area.

It's good you are keeping her lean while she is healing!

·
Premium Member
18,108 Posts
Penny got her staples and stitches out today. She went nuts on the slippery floor and really scared me. I had to warn everybody, including the vet, don't look at her, don't talk to her. She stayed calm after that.

The vet, her regular one, not the ortho guy, said the wound was fabulous and she was really impressed with his work.

She's lost more weight...down to 65 pounds. She's a inch taller than breed standard. That's 3 down since she tore her ligament. Even tho some of this could be muscle loss, it's actually good and we will let her go down to 60 before worrying about it. The lighter the better on that healing bone!
These dogs, they are really trying to give us a heart attack. Robbie did the same thing scrabbling and trying to run on the slippery floor the day we took his stitches out of his knee. I thought my vet was going to skin me alive for letting him do that.

I'm glad she's looking good!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sure gave that one some thought!!! What we should have done is take a small rug with us. She was splaying her feet in all directions! I took her back to the mat just inside the door and stood with her. They put us in a room right away...same slippery tile and the techy comes in all "Ooooo, there's my Penny, I love Penny etc." in a high pitched voice! Thats when I told them DONT'!

What a great report! I'm glad she is doing so well and got the stitches out. Her excitement at the vets reminds me of another dog also recuperating right now. He's due for a digestive enzyme test soon and I'm going to call the veterinary clinic from the car to tell them we are waiting until they have a room available so he doesn't get so excited in the reception area.

It's good you are keeping her lean while she is healing!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Letting"??? Doesn't he know we can't STOP them???:doh:

These dogs, they are really trying to give us a heart attack. Robbie did the same thing scrabbling and trying to run on the slippery floor the day we took his stitches out of his knee. I thought my vet was going to skin me alive for letting him do that.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I am so glad she got the stitches out and survived her excitment. The tech vet should know better...duh.....

You still have to limit her activity for the next 5 months or so, right? What are you going to have to do for that?

I am so glad she is on the mend....K

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tech should know better but I cut them some slack. They don't get this kind of work there very much...no ortho work. Penny is pretty much a novelty with this. The vet herself removed the staples so she could see for herself.

We're into weeks 3-8 now. Her activity continues to be very restricted. Outside ONLY for potty or sitting quietly with leash. No walks. We cheat a little on this when she wants to mozy around the back yard for a few minutes. Yesterday I spent a total of 90 minutes sitting with her. This morning we spent a few minutes in a sunny spot in the shade garden.

We have to use the supportive sling whenever she's walking on grass/uneven ground. No car rides, no visitors, everthing stays the same as day one until radiographs show bone growth, usually at 8 week check up. That's around Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Poor Penny! Poor Penny's mom! You still have a lot of work cut out for you! Sending good vibes your way for strength and patience ahead! K

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Kimberly. She's actually a pretty good patient. I was gone to get hay tonight and she was really excited when I got home. She wants to jump up and spin. I sit down on her level and kind of hold her head and neck telling her ah-ah, be nice be nice. She understands that and sits still...kind of a wiggly sit but not spinning or jumping.

We're settling in to a new 'normal'. It's not as rough as I thought it would be!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
At least something good to read today. My day was just loaded with not so good news. You two just keep up, you are doing great. I know it is not easy, went thru it twice.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awww, I'm sorry you had a crummy day. Penny is always happy if she's brightened someone's day. Me too! Wishing you a better tomorrow. :smooch:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
So happy to read Penny's doing well. I guess the bright side is that she is feeling so much better and not in pain or she wouldn't be giving you those "heart attacks". You both are doing so well, lots of good healing energy to you and a few hugs too. Hang in there the light is brighter at the end of that tunnel!!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Aw, glad to hear she's doing well! Yay no staples! Hope she heals up quick so she (and you) can get back to the usual routine!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts