Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Penny Poop-a-palooza

1K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  KAW 
#1 ·
It's not spring yet but we have had a couple of mild weeks here in Michigan, traditionally referred to as our "January thaw". When the snow in the back yard melted, mounds of doggie doo was revealed.

Today was the day, quick before the next cold snap next week. We got 3 grocery bags (the plastic kind) nearly full of 'used dog food'. Penny watch from the garden gate. She was waiting to go into the garden and look for green beans. Sorry babycakes, another 6 months before THAT will happen.

How about your yard? Full of 'used dog food'?

#3 ·
I'm out there everyday too when there isn't snow. But it's seems too much trouble to go through the boots, coat, mittens, hat folderol and trudge through the snow to get it right away. Because it's warm, it's melts the snow and ends up underneath where it freezes. Then more snow on top. It's easier to just pick it up when the snow melts.

Penny has decided the the lawn right next to the patio is her potty spot so you betcha in the nicer weather we're right behind her picking up.

#5 ·
Weather was the same here today so Molson wanted me to go outside and play fetch with him. Well I tried to play but I was too afraid to step anywhere so I figured it would be a good time for poop-picking! I got out the shovel and all of a sudden, Molson wanted nothing to do with me while I did my chores :uhoh:. When the 3 bags were full, all of a sudden he was my best friend again!

Oh and of course, 5 minutes later he christened the yard with a fresh pile :doh: *sigh*

#7 ·
I'm lucky...hubby goes out every night after our walk and cleans up the poopsicles!!!! Mind you, we just got dumped on today with some more snow, so it could be a little tough in the morning....

#8 ·
I go out ever few days and do the picking.. Jaxson's sink a bit in the snow but I can find most i think... maybe a few once the thaw hits... But there is not much deep snow and what is out there is hard packed icy snow.

I just cant believe how much is out there after only 2-3 days.. I swear since getting a dog every cat in the neighbourhood is jealous and pooping in our backyard:yuck: I can tell the difference:doh:

#9 ·
We're having a January thaw as well. I did poop patrol last weekend after several weeks of snow & bitter cold. Now there's mud everywhere since the weather has been somewhat warm. That's one good thing about frozen ground...no mud!

#12 ·
I'm not up to picking it up when there is three feet of snow and below zero! Yesterday was a thaw but today it is supposed to snow again. Most of ours disintegrates but whatever is still there once it warms up will have to wait. I'm not taking a chance I'll fall on the ice.

#13 ·
We made a smaller fenced pen right off the garage and put mulch. They don't get to run and play in the main yard until they do their business (other than occasionally) I hate bitter cold poop hunts. Makes it nice for multiple pickups throughout the day and the yard stays pretty clean. The mulch make it great for the messy ones too, almost like kitty litter does.

#16 ·
we had that about a week ago+
Picture muddy yard as it rained to finish the last of the freeze
Mud or poop - need to clean yard

Noooooo don't let them out in that
DH - oooops

Close the door
two minutes later WWF in the yard and a few more minutes later two mud poop pups.

Me - I'm not cleaning them you are.
DH - why me?
Me - you opened the door

Do you think it' mud or poop? open the door.....ummm both and the puppy had a facial.

Took Noah in first, he was just running to not get tackled by the poop pup...so he only had feet and under belly and random paw prints all over his back.

Scout was total mess and even left poop paw prints all over OCD Noah. Noah did not want to go back out later...only went if Scout was not going with him.

#17 ·
i can't even imagine. i pick it up every time she poops no poopcilces waiting.

of course, it's different for us being in the condo - the association requires us to pick up after each time. i just wish everyone did (most do).

#18 ·
Noey, that hilarious. Amazing how quickly we can 'choose up' sides when it comes to poop and mud! Poor Noah!

When I go out with her I pick up too. I'm lazy in the winter and just keep an eye on her from the sunroom. The last of the snow melted today so tomorrow we'll do a sweep and get anything we missed. Maybe wait until it freezes again. I hate squishey, rained-on poopers. :yuck:

#19 ·
Our yard is a mass of dog poop, broken sticks, stripped ivy vines and holes. Holes dug in the mulch, in the lawn, in the planting beds, etc. This is our first winter with a Golden and we are AMAZED by the destruction! But we have a wonderful Golden blanket to keep us warm on the cold winter nights so all is well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.