Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking the mailbox for OFA every day for the last week. Maybe tomorrow. But PennHip came for Copley yesterday, and I am elated with his score: over 90th percentile. My vet, our orthopedic vet, and a friend who is a breeder-vet care greatly about PennHIP, but many breeders do not seem to think much of it. I went ahead bc I want as much information as possible before deciding about breeding Cops. It is lovely to read on paper that he has the lowest possible risk for degenerative joint disease. Working through Tango's severe elbow dysplasia made me appreciate blessing to the dog of pain free, sturdy joints.

Reactions: Stretchdrive

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
That is awesome!! Congrats on him getting such a great score!! I have only ever done OFA, but have a ton of respect for PennHip, since it seems you get more info from them than fair, good, excellent.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had never seen the score sheet before. It says Copley less laxity than more than 90 percent of goldens in both hips and gives his distraction index. It says that for our breed, the median is 50th percentile (0.54). I am very relieved to get this good score, bc I havent used PennHIP before.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Those high percentiles sure look good :) Congrats!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Congrats on the high score. It really is a great feeling to open that envelop and see such a great score. I use both OFA and Penn-Hip on all of my dogs. I think is gives a better overall understanding as to that particular dogs hip/joint heath.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, and heartfelt thank yous to Ashleigh. PennHIP was kind of an unknown to me, so it was fun to learn a bit of how to read the xrays. I am jglad my crazy boy can zoomie all over the forest leaping over things the way he likes to without doing damage to his maniac self.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
Copley is a beautiful dog. So glad the results look good. Won't it be great to see little Copleys running around? Bet he produces great pup!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Congrats! I probably won't get Pennhip on Flip since I'm not using him for breeding, but I remember how excited and relieved I was when I found out he was OFA excellent. One load off my mind!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow-OFA Excellent is amazing.

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
It will be interesting to see the OFA results. Scout and his father were both PennHipp'd at the same time, years after getting their OFA's. We were given the opportunity to help a Milwaukee breeder/vet who was getting trained in PennHip.

Scout was OFA Excellent, PennHip .36/.36. Dickens, his Dad, was OFA Good, PennHip .36/.32. Of course, their OFA's were read years apart, by different radiologists.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
For a golden, 90th percentile is exceptionallly great.. it will be interesting to see how it correlates with OFA's.. keep us posted.

Reactions: Ljilly28

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I do find the comparison between PennHip and OFA interesting. I know one forum member with a dog that scored nearly 100% on Pennhip (I think .28/.28) but Good on OFA. Of course Good is still wonderful, but it's interesting how they can score off the charts on one and not as high on the other. Does anyone know if there are any dogs who have 90% or above on pennhip and didn't pass OFA, or scored Excellent on OFA but low scores on pennhip?

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Copley is 0.33 and 0.33. We thought he would be prelims excellent but he was good at 11 month. This time, his xrays look good, though the positioning isnt quite a nice as before. I can put them up if you guys can rate them.

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
It's always been explained to me that they measure different things-PennHip looks at laxity, while OFA looks at the conformation of the hip and signs of degenerative joint disease..

Copley's PH numbers are fantastic :) Can't wait to see what OFA says!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do find the comparison between PennHip and OFA interesting. I know one forum member with a dog that scored nearly 100% on Pennhip (I think .28/.28) but Good on OFA. Of course Good is still wonderful, but it's interesting how they can score off the charts on one and not as high on the other. Does anyone know if there are any dogs who have 90% or above on pennhip and didn't pass OFA, or scored Excellent on OFA but low scores on pennhip?
I would love to know that also, but I don't want it to be us! Happy with good, thrilled with excellent.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Great news!!! :wave:
I am not aware of any instance where a dog scored in the 90th and then did not clear OFA hips. But as we know PennHip doesn't even look at elbows.

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I'd be curious what Flip's PennHip score would be just for my own informational purposes, but not so interested that I want to pay all that money and put him through anesthesia since he's neutered and has no problems. But interesting all the same.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sunfire does such good work. I always take a peek at hips/elbows for all our dogs about 10 months bc they are so active. With Tango though, she was already lame by 5 months with her sad elbows, and the devestating xrays were no surprise. My older Sunfire line dog Finn had xrays bc his back was sore, and he still had tight good hips and beautiful elbows at 9 with no remodeling etc - basically as good as at 9 months and he played hard every day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts