Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
I heard about what happened today... it's very sad and scary.

I can empathize with your alma matter "shame" so to speak. The Ohio State athletic program hasn't been making us too proud in Ohio either.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
An Alabama alum from the Bear Bryant era myself, for many years I have looked up to Joe Pa as the living coach who showed us the best of college football. In addition to stunned grief and outrage for the victims and sheer horror at the alleged perpetrator, it breaks my heart to see the damage this episode has wrought to the team and the university. I can only hope that the full weight of justice comes to bear on those who knew and should have stopped this years ago.

Aching for you and all concerned,
Lucy

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I found the news disgusting on many levels(my boys are 19 and 17 years and it hits close). Too bad for Penn State Athletics.

·
Kristy
9,838 Posts
I am sick to my stomach that the people who witnessed this and received the reports didn't move heaven and earth to get to the truth and protect these kids. They didn't pursue it because Sandusky was no longer coaching there? What is wrong with people?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
They were saying on the news this AM that Joe Paterno notified campus authorities when he heard about it, but they did nothing. Wasn't this a police matter?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, but they did not. Apparently , they contacted the 2nd Mile and informed them, since the child was technically not under University supervision. What one of the defense attorneys has said was they were not required by law to contact authorities. They may get off of that charge on a technicality, but there are way more than legal obligations involved here when children are involved. Seems to me they realize they made a huge mistake and now have perjured themselves trying to cover up their mistake. We are all perplexed at why those involved did not do more.

·
Administrator
16,476 Posts
I too can not understand why more was not done......... It is always the victoms that have to suffer, in more ways than one, in situations like this.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be prepared today to watch a fiasco at Paterno's weekly press conference. The University issued a statement that it will focus primarily on the upcoming Nebraska game. Really?

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,717 Posts
I heard about what happened today... it's very sad and scary.

I can empathize with your alma matter "shame" so to speak. The Ohio State athletic program hasn't been making us too proud in Ohio either.
Your team isn't the only one, we've had our share of NCAA Violations the last two seasons at Carolina and it something we are not proud of.

It's very sad, disturbing, and shocking to hear on TV and read the articles about what has happened at Penn State and details continue each day.
I just read this article on FoxSports.com about Coach Paterno's exit.

Report: Penn State planning Joe Paterno's exit amid sexual-abuse scandal - College Football News | FOX Sports on MSN

As my husband just said, it's a shame Paterno has to end his career and go out this way.

My thoughts are with everyone and especially the innocent young victims. Their lives will be forever changed because of this as well as many others.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Be prepared today to watch a fiasco at Paterno's weekly press conference. The University issued a statement that it will focus primarily on the upcoming Nebraska game. Really?
The D.C. radio station that I listen to while driving home reported that the press conference was cancelled. There was a lot of speculation that Paterno will coach this weekend's game and then be removed, having lost the support of the board.

It is a great sadness that a man who has been so respected by so many for so long has to end his career this way. Why...Dear heaven why...did he not contact the authorities and otherwise try to protect the children? I will never understand this. Never.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's absolutely sick. If Joe P or anyone involved actually had a soul, they would have notified the police immediately upon seeing that university officials did nothing. There is no telling how many precious boys are victims to that monster.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love Joe Paterno, but he must go. This was a major lapse in judgement on his part and others at the University. All those involved must step down or be removed. This is NOT Penn State, and certainly not MY Penn State. This has forever tainted the memory of my years at Penn State (mid to late 80's). I can never look at those football games with Sandusky on the sidelines, the work I did with 2nd Mile with my fraternity, again without thinking of the despicable acts he has done, how those at the University who I respected failed to protect the innocent lives of children, and how those memories were stolen from me. Thank God I still have the beautiful memories of my friends, who are the TRUE Penn State in my eyes.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
All this is so sad. I saw on the news tonight Joe is resigning or being resigned. And you know 2002 was when the scandal in the Church was hitting the news big time. I am sorry for the victims, for all those who are hurt and saddened by those they thought would do the right thing, and didn't. The cover ups are still the things most egregious. My husband and I were talking about this at dinner tonight and I told him the reason the Church covered up was because it felt giving scandal was such a terrible thing, and the irony is that the real scandal is the cover up.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Agreed, this is just terrible...

1 - 20 of 203 Posts