Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread, there are several mentions of not doing Penn Hip if there is suspected HD.

This concerns me a bit since both Faelan and Towhee will be going in soon for Hips (including Penn Hip) and Elbows. Is Penn Hip safe when no problems are evident or should OFA XRays be done first to protect my dogs?

Thanks in adavance.

·
16,000 Posts
I prefer the OFA method, overall. I would not do a distraction/compression on a dog that is having problems that would cause concern that there is dysplasia.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I still don't quite see how the PennHIP positioning would worsen dysplasia. I understand that they manipulate the joint, and I know the three positions, but can somebody walk us through the mechanics of how those mechanics would leave the hip in worse condition?

·
16,000 Posts
I still don't quite see how the PennHIP positioning would worsen dysplasia. I understand that they manipulate the joint, and I know the three positions, but can somebody walk us through the mechanics of how those mechanics would leave the hip in worse condition?
I do not know if there is any documentation or proof to substantiate my (and other's) concerns about this. I feel that any compression, as done during PennHip, should be avoided if there are problems. We avoid concussive activity when there is dyplasia, and I would avoid the compression done by PennHip as well.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I do not know if there is any documentation or proof to substantiate my (and other's) concerns about this. I feel that any compression, as done during PennHip, should be avoided if there are problems. We avoid concussive activity when there is dyplasia, and I would avoid the compression done by PennHip as well.
I'm not really disagreeing with you, just trying to understand the reason. The compression on PennHIP isn't an impact, so I don't see how it could worsen the malformation of a bad hip or damage the cartilage.

Don't you usually do PennHIP at the same time as OFA so the dog doesn't have to go through two rounds of sedation? Sunrise doesn't think her dogs have HD, but it seems much more dangerous for her to go through two rounds of sedation than to risk a PennHIP on a dog who hasn't been certified with passing hips but probably does pass.

·
16,000 Posts
I'm not really disagreeing with you, just trying to understand the reason. The compression on PennHIP isn't an impact, so I don't see how it could worsen the malformation of a bad hip or damage the cartilage.

Don't you usually do PennHIP at the same time as OFA so the dog doesn't have to go through two rounds of sedation? Sunrise doesn't think her dogs have HD, but it seems much more dangerous for her to go through two rounds of sedation than to risk a PennHIP on a dog who hasn't been certified with passing hips but probably does pass.
I am not a fan of PennHip for several reasons, and don't/won't do it unless/until it becomes a requirement of the GRCA (which I don't see happening).
All I did was respond to her question and suggested that IF there is a concern that there is already a problem, I would not do the distraction/compression.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I am not a fan of PennHip for several reasons, and don't/won't do it unless/until it becomes a requirement of the GRCA (which I don't see happening).
All I did was respond to her question and suggested that IF there is a concern that there is already a problem, I would not do the distraction/compression.
I'm not trying to say you're wrong, simply trying to understand the reasoning. I know I usually ask a seemingly innocent question and then go for the throat, but I swear I'm not doing that here. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts