Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 7 month, Louie, has been peeing in his only inside room - the family room - once every two or three weeks. He is let outside often. I have no idea how to get him to stop this. Just when I think he's done with these accidents, it'll happen again.

What I have been doing is yelling loud NOOOOO and immediately putting him outside, where he'd rather not be. He will jump on the door and try to get in, but I keep him out there as punishment for a while, then I put him in his crate for a bit.

We have bells on the door that he does not use. I'd love to figure out how to train him to use those.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wonder if a previous pee in that area is triggering him to go?

Ringing bells to go outside to pee might be cute but I wouldn't rely on them to know when he has to go. Our dogs have always been let out when we think they need to go...and way more than they probably need to.

Peyton is 7 months also and opposite - once inside she can't wait for the door to open again to go outside.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Schedule, Bells, Etc.

You've probably thoroughly cleaned his previously accident spots with an enzyme cleaner, but I'd go over them again just to be sure they aren't triggering him. Also, has he been checked for a bladder infection, just to be sure? (Since it's an intermittent problem, this probably isn't the source, but I'd be inclined to rule it out.)

When Maisie began to has trouble with house training when we started letting her go into other rooms of the house, we put her back on a pretty strict schedule for going out. I actually set my oven timer so I didn't lose track of time and let her out more often than she needed to go, just so she didn't have an accident and a set back. That seemed to help get her back on track.

Maisie (7+ months) has been using bells since she was little -- at this age, I wouldn't train her to use them since she can now understand to let us know when she needs to go out and really just rings the bells for "false alarms" when she wants to go out for entertainment. Just my thought...

·
Premium Member
18,165 Posts
You need to back up and reinforce the potty training, go outside with him and give treats and praise him for pottying outside. Don't punish for accidents, just praise him when he does right. Shorten the time frame in between trips outside and go out with him to praise him when goes outside.

He doesn't know why you are yelling at him and locking him outside alone. Tell him "no" but don't yell when you catch him, go outside with him encourage him to finish outside and praise him when he does.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Is he neutered?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is not yet neutered. Do they start doing that kind of stuff when they start maturing "down there"?

Jluke, I'm going to take your advice and get the carpet professionally cleaned. Maybe he is picking up an odor there. I'm not sure how thorough our cleaning has been with that spray enzyme cleaner. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts