Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's done this three or four times now, I can't figure it out. Finn is basically house broken, but he keeps peeing in his bed. Not like overnight he pees or anything, but like my husband goes to fix his bed in his crate and he just starts peeing.

I'm not sure if he pees because he's afraid of my husband, or because he's excited or something, I have no idea. He hadn't gone out this morning yet and my husband went to let him out, but first he adjusted his bed. When he reached into his crate, he just started peeing.

He's not having accidents in his crate and we do have the divider in with him so it's only as big as it should be for house breaking purposes. This is the only time he ever has an accident anymore. Personally, I think it's my husband's fault mostly because why is fixing his bed so important before you let him out to pee after 6-8 hours? But I digress.

He also typically only does this when his bed is in his crate. I'm not sure if it's because he wants to pee on his bed, or because that's the only reason my husband reaches in.

Opinions? Anything we can do, other than my dumb husband letting the poor dog outside first? We can't keep laundering his bed every few days like this.

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
I think you are right, he needs to pee and your husband delaying getting him out is just a few minutes too long.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Given your subsequent posts, my guess is that this is submissive urination brought on by your husband's behavior, and it won't improve until your husband becomes a calm source of positive reinforcement for Finn.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I totally agree with tippykayak. Finn is scared! Submissive urination is a dog's way of saying, "You are the alpha and will hurt me - I give up, I give up, I give up - please leave me be".

Your hubby's smell may be enough to trigger this response. A dog this young is barely in control of his bladder anyway - when your husband comes over he is at the tipping point.

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
Yes, it sounds like submissive urination to me. Scolding him will make it worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts