Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Golden Retriever puppy that is about 6 months old. She was housebroken just fine up until recently. Now she will pee in the floor whenever company comes over or if we go outside our apartment for more than 5-10 minutes. Sometimes she will even do it while we are looking at her. This problem has only arisen in the last 3 weeks. It is really hard not to overdiscipline her because she seems spiteful about it. I dont understand the problem. Does anyone know what is going on with her and how to make it stop? We take her out an ample number of times every day and she does not have accidents in her crate while we are at work. Please give any suggestions you have.:doh:

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to have some treats handy outside and when she DOES pee outside act like she has just done the greatest thing you have ever seen...and give her a treat... focus more on the positive reinforcement as opposed to reacting too harshly when she has an accident... She may enjoy getting a reaction out of you when she does have accidents, and might not understand positive vs. negative attention yet!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome,
You need to have her checkout out for a possible UTI with the vet. That can cause the peeing more than normal. They are not like people and do things for spite. It just isnt in them. Even if it seems like that. Give her lots of praise when she does her business outside and she will improve to please you. Dont yell at her when she goes inside, just put her leash on her and take her outside. The more praise the better she will do. Be a cheerleader, your neighbors will think you are a nut but she will think you are the best.

·
Love goldens 4 life!!!
349 Posts
the exact same thing happened to Riley at that age and it was a UTI. She is now almost a year.....and she never never never has an accident

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Rule out a UTI first. If she has a urinary tract infection she can not control her urine flow...scolding is useless....

Assuming she is healthy, given her age (she is entering the second fear period)..., the rest of the behavior sounds like that of a somewhat insecure dog.....submissive peeing around new people....and peeing when left in the home but not in her crate (separation anxiety).

When you over correct a dog that is submissively peeing...you get a dog that pees more....
She is telling your guests with her pee...I'm smaller, Im no threat, I wont challenge you...Then as a reaction to her signal, you behave in a assertive/aggressive manner ....She will try harder and harder to send you signals that she is no threat to you....with more pee...
When company comes over have them pay no attention to her, dont look at her, dont reach for her...have them take a seat and give her 5-10 minutes to approach them in her own time. Perhaps have the guests toss small bits of cheese in her general direction without expecting her to come to them. (she may or may not eat them in their presence, but she will appreciate the gesture :) )
Dont console her, comfort her or try to 'talk her into' greeting the guests. Let her build her own confidence with strangers over time.

You can't scold an insecure puppy and expect them to become confident adult dogs.
Patience, consistency, kindness and repetition will win her over in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts