Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
First Time Golden Mommy
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got Isla's pedigree in the mail today and I noticed that her grandfather on the Sire's side is the same as her great-grandfather on the Dam's side. Is that okay? I don't know anything about inbreeding or linebreeding rules!

Thanks!!

·
Kate
20,620 Posts
It just means your dog is linebred. Not inbred.

As far as this being a good thing... I think this really depends on the health of the dog.

There is a dog who shows up 2-3 times in my guy's background, and this golden lived 16 years with conformation, obedience and even hunt titles.

That's quite a bit different than having a random dog with an unknown health history or a bad one showing up several times in the pedigree.

·
First Time Golden Mommy
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's quite a bit different than having a random dog with an unknown health history or a bad one showing up several times in the pedigree.

Yeah! Thanks for your reply. I guess there is no real way to tell. I can see several dogs who's AKC name ends with A Golden Promise so I don't know if that's a kennel name, but on the Dam's side all the great-grandparents were from there...

Looks like no champion lines except there is a great grandparent on the Sire's side named FOXFIRE'S MUCHO DINERO DE ORO CDX

Anyone know what that means?

Sorry for all the questions! :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
You can enter your dog in K9data.com.
If you enter the info on your dogs pedigree you will most likely connect with MANY more ancestors.
Sometimes there are bits of info regarding date of death and cause of death as well as other tidbits of info....

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
CDX means "Companion Dog Excellent"- an obedience title.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Did your breeder discuss with you why she paired the dam and sire together, aside from producing puppies what was she/he looking to accomplish with the litter (I.e. How the dam and sire complimented each other). If it wasn't discussed, wouldn't hurt to ask the question of the breeder. I always find learning the reasons behind the pairings very insightful.

·
First Time Golden Mommy
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did your breeder discuss with you why she paired the dam and sire together, aside from producing puppies what was she/he looking to accomplish with the litter (I.e. How the dam and sire complimented each other). If it wasn't discussed, wouldn't hurt to ask the question of the breeder. I always find learning the reasons behind the pairings very insightful.
The breeder didn't mention it, and I didn't think to ask! I was more concerned about the health records and such. I wish I would have asked more about why they picked that particular stud to be the Sire. We talked a lot about the overall health of each parent and that was it. Darn my lack of experience!! :doh: lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts