Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Payson, who bravely fought Stage VB t-cell lymphoma--three chemo protocols--and who fought like a warrior to survive 28 months post-diagnosis, was euthanized on May 8 (Sept 3, 2011--May 8, 2019).

Since he was barely 5-years old when he was Dx with this, I notified his breeder. I only did this to alert her that one of her puppies had contracted cancer at a very young age. I though this was the right thing to do and, if I were breeding this dog's "father" or siblings, I would want to know this. She never replied.

I again contacted her after Payson's death for the same reasons I listed above. Cancer is not the fault of any breeder--it is not anyone's fault. But since she is a "Premier" Breeder and Payson cost us thousands of dollars to purchase, I thought she might at least acknowledge my emails. Nope.

I hope if you own a GR or any other breed, you purchase pet insurance. Payson cost us $24,000 out of pocket for his medical care. Any we had no insurance.

We adopted Jag, another GR, two years ago and he is insured via Healthy Paws Pet Insurance.

We had three GR's--Woolly Bear (12), Scuba (16) and Payson (7).

As Alfred Lord Tennison said in his poem In Memoriam:27, 1850:

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Payson. You clearly loved your boy and gave him every chance to fight this awful diagnosis. May his memories bring you some solace and may he Rest In Peace.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Reactions: rabidyankee

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I am so sorry. He was a beautiful boy.

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
I'm so very sorry for the loss of Payson, would like me to add his name to the Rainbow Bridge List?.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ouch! I'm sorry to learn of your loss of Payson. We lost our first GR at age 11 due to cancer as well. I really hate that dreadful disease...It was good that you notified your breeder so they will be aware. Payson had to go way too early in life. I'm terribly sorry. God Bless!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm so sorry. I can't imagine getting a cancer diagnosis at five years old. That is just way too young. It sounds like you did everything that could be done and he fought bravely. Payson was a handsome boy. I hope you find some comfort in the happy memories and remembering that you gave him a good life and a lot of love.

·
Registered
684 Posts
{{{ HUGS }}} from me! Gentle Golden Retriever tail wags and sloppy kisses from Káva and healing rusty Siamese purrs from Dusty, and Tarzan!! Know that my Mazlon was there to greet him and is now showing him the best sunbeams and where to chase butterflies.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of handsome Payson. You did so much to help him over the years he was sick. It breaks my heart knowing what you and Payson went through. You did the right thing trying to contact his breeder. It's unfortunate the breeder didn't care enough about the situation to contact you back. I'm glad you have the health insurance for your second dog and hope you never have to use it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm so, so sorry for your loss. Payson looks like a beautiful, friendly soul, he was so lucky to have you. I hope peace finds your heart soon {{{hugs}}}

·
Registered
441 Posts
Your Payson was a beauty. Having to say goodbye is never easy. You did a great job caring for him and gave him every chance he needed. I hope time helps you feel better soon. The love Payson gave you will be with you forever.

Godspeed to Payson

dlm ny country

What we have once enjoyed, 
we can never lose. 
All that we love deeply
 becomes a part of us.
” – Helen Keller

·
Premium Member
18,157 Posts
I am so sorry for his loss. Just 5 years truly is unfair, you and he both were robbed of the full like he deserved. Cancer is evil.

You could enter him into k9data.org, and list his cause of death, that way people looking at his breeder could see one she bred passed way too young from cancer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts