Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Pay It Forward - Canine Blood Banks

892 views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Jake'sDad 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :) I am curious to see if any of you have taken your dogs to be canine blood donors? After everything that happened with Heidi, I am so thankful that, somewhere out there, someone took their pup to be a donor. If we could pay it forward by helping someone else out, I'd be all about that. I've started to look into it and Ohio State has a blood bank program. Here are the eligibility requirements:

• Be healthy and friendly
  • Be between the ages of 1 and 7
  • Donate at least 4 times a year
  • Weight 50 lbs. or more (dogs)/ 10 lbs. or more (cats)
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker all fall under those categories.

What do you guys think about this? Would you do it with your dogs?

#5 ·
I hope nobody thinks I'm dwelling on what happened with Heidi too much, but I just keep thinking we could all do so much to help out other dogs that might be in a similar situation, you know?

#6 ·
Blair OSU has a great blood bank program. Tanner was a donor when he was eligible and both of my cats are donors. Cristina the person who runs it is awesome. If you want more info. or her number let me know. I believe it is one of the larger programs around , I know that we ship blood/plasma all over. I am one of the techs who matches blood with the donor. I love my job.

#7 ·
I just called and put my name on the waiting list. The lady that I spoke with said that the donor screening day in April is completely full, so it will likely be a few months before we hear anything. I'm excited to get involved with this program. It could help out so many wonderful little kiddos!

#8 ·
Great news - and once they are accepted - they get perks for donating. Free Food - flea meds - heartworm prev. - vaccines - yearly physicals and at one point I could be wrong so don't quote me on it - I believe they get free blood products should they ever need it. That's the way it used to be - I don't know if it still is.

#9 ·
That's pretty cool! I think it sounds like a great program, even without the extra perks!

#12 ·
For some reason this thread and topic makes me think of Greyhounds. I don't know why?? Now I have to look this up.

Are there any risks involved with donating?

Found it! Thank you! Oh, the information that gets stuck in my head...

"Although not all dogs in the program are greyhounds, the breed is an ideal canine blood donor. They typically have the universal canine blood type, A negative, which can be used to treat dogs of all breeds; an easy disposition that makes them nonchalant about the donation procedure; and a high red blood- cell count."
http://www.thecherrycreeknews.com/content/view/3274/2/

#13 ·
When we were going through treatments with our first golden, I said when I had a healthy dog I'd have them donate.

We did it for close to two years. Berkley hated, but put up with it. Cisco, well, he loves everyone and everything. They had to do a few things different with Cisco to get him to lay still for them to get the blood. The usual vet that was doing it left and I tried to mention this to the new vet. She kind of snapped at me when I tried to mention this. She was never able to get a donation from him and he was forced into early retirement after two visits with new vet.

Honestly she left a bad taste in my mouth for the whole experience. I took an extra long lunch every 7 weeks to take them over for the donation. When Cisco was forced into retirement, I retired Berkley. I haven't decided if I'll do it with the puppy. I know I shouldn't let the experience with one person taint my opinion, but...

#15 ·
Would those of you that have donated describe the procedure...
Must the dog lay down?
Must they lay in a particular position?
How long does donation usually take?

My curiosity is piqued!

#16 ·
I've met some of the donors who came through the waiting room at NC State's vet school - those dogs know they are doing something important. I think it is one of the most unselfish acts a dog owner can do. Good for you Blair.

#17 ·
Winnipeg Manitoba has this program. The most important "perk" is that for every unit of blood that a dog donates he/she is guaranteed that shoud he/she ever require blood that they will receive up to as many units they have donated immediately. They get bumped to the top of the list and take priority. The blood collected here goes all over the country so it's at a premium. Here we also have the additional requirement that dogs must be on heartworm preventitive in the spring/summer/fall and their spring time heartworm check is negative. Their hematrocrit must also be adequate. There are some other requirements as well but don't come to mind. Oh and of course age and weight requirements.

#18 ·
I'd sign Farley up in a minute but, alas, he's over 7 years old. I think it's a great program even without the extra perks -- the satisfaction of knowing that what the dog is doing is really important is more than reward enough.
Bless you, Blair, that was a great idea! And Kimm, that's interesting to know about greyhounds -- I would never have guessed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.