Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something new every week :)

This week, it's Paw licking. G-Man just started doing it out of no where.

I first thought it may be signs of an allergy, but nothing in his environment has changed, and nothing in his diet has changed.

Do they just do this some times?

It's the tops/sides that he licks. Not the bottoms.

He seems to enjoy it for some odd reason.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Usually an allergy or anxiety. This is a common Golden issue. None of mine do it, but Brooklyn has staining where she once did before I got her, and it hasn't been long enough for the hair to replace itself yet (hers I'm sure was an allergy, she had ear infections and so forth too).

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I think Molson does his out of habit, but he licks the bottom of his paws all the time. Once I tell him to stop, he does. It took me a while to stop the habit though, spraying his paws with bitter apple helped a lot! I thought it was an allergy too but nothing had changed around us too.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
I took Merlin to the vet today just for this reason. He doesn't have allergies (or doesn't display the symptoms), but last week he started licking between his toe on one back foot (on the top, not underneath). He's not a licker at all and has never done this. Spent a week using gold bond and Gentocin spray, but then he started on his other paw licking from the top. I could see some redness and some skin discoloration and was worried about it. The vet found it's bacterial and told me to keep using the gentocin spray, just more frequently.

He also said that this time of year, with the leaves and mold, dogs tend to get itchy. I think Merlin's case could be related to a hike and his swim in a muddy lake about 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, he hasn't seen his Harem in 2 weeks, and it will be another week. Plus the weather has sucked, and I've been working 12-14 hour days, which means it's dark when I get done.

His roughhousing time has been severely hampered the last few weeks. You may be right.

Usually an allergy or anxiety. This is a common Golden issue. None of mine do it, but Brooklyn has staining where she once did before I got her, and it hasn't been long enough for the hair to replace itself yet (hers I'm sure was an allergy, she had ear infections and so forth too).

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm taking tommorow off work for this reason. With the exception of some vacumming, the day is all his!

I sure hope it don't rain. The back yard is going to be a swamp, but the hell with it. I'll just hose him down when we're done :)

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Larry don't run LOL

But we do have a brand new package of tuff-dog tennis balls we are going to break in!

And since I'm going to the store tonight, I might get him a little Sirloin to have instead of his usual hamburger tomorrow :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts