Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a long time since my last post. In the years since 2008 we have had kids move out, kids move back in, kids get married, welcomed 9 grandchildren, we got an Irish Setter, and through it all my best friend Patsy has been there. We have had too many adventures to count. She has flown puppy rescues with me in our plane, she and I have spent hours at the Senior Center consoling and comforting people, we have gone to colleges to help kids study, and she has been my friend. She comforted my father in law as he was dying. She always carried her leash in her mouth, and I could tell her to go left, right or straight and she knows what to do. At the airport, she walked out to my plane and waited under the wing until I got there. The noise didn’t bother her, but I made her wear muffs when we fly.

Patsy turned 13 on 20 May. Her health has been deteriorating, first with arthritis and then with breathing problems. For the past year, she has been on Glucosamine, Galuprant and lately I have been having a vet come to the house for acupuncture. It all has helped.

Monday of this week we went to vet for a normal checkup. I told the vet that she has been coughing at night a lot and was breathing heavily more often. The vet asked if I wanted x-rays and I declined, then changed my mind. When she came out, the vet was crying. I knew my life was about to change.

I was told that Patsy has three large cancerous growths in her chest: one on her heart, one on her left lung and one on her spleen. Her heart was only working at about 50% and she could not breathe due to the mass on her lung. The vet said that she might have days, weeks or at best months. We decided that on Friday (today) we would have the vet come to help her cross the Rainbow Bridge. I determined to make her last week amazing, and we flew, went swimming, went to Dairy Queen, and a last walk in Home Depot. And we had ice cream in our favorite spot. Even this week we have seen a decline in her health, her breathing, and her mobility. That was Monday. Today what had been a small tumor under her neck was the size of a baseball.

We decided to have the vet come the house, rather than going to an office. We have a place on the back of the property I call the “Sittin’ Spot”. Patsy and I would often go out there to listen to music in the evenings, watch fireflies and ponder the world. Today, she struggled to go out one last time with me and my wife and the vet. She laid down, and my wife and I told her how much we love her. The vet gave her three shots spaced about 10 minutes apart, and then her earthly being was gone. It was amazingly simple and even beautiful. There was a slight breeze, and the temperature was not high. Birds were singing and we had the Celtic Ladies on Pandora in the background.

And now there is a huge hole in our hearts. A thousand things are reminding us of this wonderful dog. Just now, our Irish Setter left her traditional little bit in her food bowl that Patsy always cleaned out. And we cried again.
:crying:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,453 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss of Patsy, she was beautiful.
I can tell from your words how much she was loved, the pictures show very special moments shared and those will be with you forever.

Godspeed Patsy

·
Registered
544 Posts
Back to the forum. Reading all these made me cry and give up comparing soo loving & devoted pawrents to families who give up/ or annoyed soo easily. Injustice and soo unfair. One can give everything to see running to the "sitting spot" one more time. Hold on tight to your setter. They are sooo sensitive souls....

·
Super Moderator
17,130 Posts
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious Patsy, would you like me to add her name to the Rainbow Bridge List?.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I also sorry for you loss of Patsy.

·
Prefers Goldens to people
6 Posts
I am there with you

My Willow left us 2 months ago, her ashes are with me my office, I still weep every day. That is her from years ago with her only litter. She survived for a year with Breast Cancer after the Vet told us 3 months she was also blind from Glaucoma, and as your baby, the best. She did Therapy w me as I am a RN . I feel blessed, as I am sure you do, to have had her in my life. I nourished her not only with love but pain meds, holistic foods, 3 eggs a day, and as long as she enjoyed life, God let her stay with us that long. I only wish I could have done what you did, what a lovely life. So here I sit , crying for the beautiful life of your baby , and for myself and my Willow. However, I am enriched by your baby and how you cared for her and the amazing this she did thank you for this.

·
Super Moderator
17,130 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of beautiful Patsy...I can tell that she was very loved and that she loved you very much. My eyes are full of tears but I can see Patsy, up in the sky sitting on the clouds and keeping an eye on you. Keep those wonderful memories close to help you through this difficult time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. Just reading your post, I can feel your love that you have for Patsy. She was tremendously blessed as much as you have been blessed as well. It is a hard part of being pawrents, but with all of your wonderful memories, cherish them and remember of all your good times.

·
Registered
96 Posts
And I cried reading this. I am so sorry for your loss. Patsy was obviously very loved and well cared for. It is so difficult to lose our precious goldens. As others have said, take comfort in knowing what a wonderful life she had with you. We lost our Odin 6 months ago and it still hurts but we are so grateful for all the wonderful years we had with him and that is what I try to remember when I get sad. Rest in peace Patsy.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My heart goes out to you and your loved ones who came to know your wonderful Patsy. We all share your loss here, many of us having been through Goldens crossing the bridge. We know the pain. Thank you for giving her a wonderful life and taking care of her all the way to her last days. Patsy made a beautiful movie of memories just for you to have forever. How lucky you are. May the film play in you heart forever and may time help you heal soon.
Godspeed to Patsy

dlm ny country

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl, Patsy. From your post and pictures, it sounds like Patsy lived a blessed life. As you already know, many of us on this site have experienced the loss of a Golden at least once. It sure never gets any easier. Though Patsy had to say goodbye, the memories she left you with will stay with you for a lifetime.

Just yesterday, my wife and I were out for a hike with our new pup, Brody. Sometimes it's so natural for me to call him River, the name of the golden we lost this past December to cancer. Brody will run ahead of us a short way and then look back to make sure he knows where we are, just like ole River boy did. You never forget them!

God Bless!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’m so sorry for your loss of Patsy. What a beautiful girl. She certainly lead a very full life. Though always too short. Thankfully you have many wonderful memories to help heal your hearts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They are a blessing, and they enrich our lives so much. Patsy reminds me of my girl Dakota who crossed 2 1/2 years ago I still shed a tear over her and it will be 2 years next month when we lost our 7 year old Golden boy Flanagan to cancer. I may you take comfort knowing she’s in a better place waiting for you to give her a hug.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What a beautiful girl Pasty was. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I've been there too, and what I've learned is that there even though there are holes left behind in your heart when our beloved canine friends leave us, in time our hearts have an infinite ability to grow to love again. {{{hugs}}}

·
Rehoming breeder girls.
44 Posts
Your beautiful Patsy reminds me of how our Eden Passed. Eden was ravaged by Hemangiosarcoma, just as your Pasty was. We put down Eden just as you did with Patsy. It tore me up to do so, as it did with you. Eden's cancer started on her left hind thigh and spread throughout her body. Your girl suffered as did my girl. I know your pain as my pain for Eden. We still think of that girl even though she passed on July 5, 2018.

But all is not lost. Eden lead us to another girl, Paige. Paige was 7 1/2 and we found her In August 2018 after a 500 mile drive. I hope that your heart is open to allowing another girl in too. As I write this Paige is sharing the bed with my wife in a La Quinta. Tomorrow we go to a Medical appointment for my wife.

Three Retirees

1 - 20 of 27 Posts