Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked up our first golden pup and his name is Payton!

My question is: He has a little patch of white on his chest, but his facial features and everything else looks like pure golden... Does the patch of white make him less of a golden? or maybe better put... Can Goldens have a patch of white?

We sure do love him and he is the best puppy ever!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
A small patch of white on the chest is perfectly acceptable, and not all that uncommon. You will probably find that as he grows, the patch becomes less and less noticeable.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Technically, white spots are not desirable, but the chest is the one place where a few white hairs are totally acceptable.

A little white on the toes, head, tail, and chest does crop up in purebred Goldens once in a while. Those are faults in the show ring, but not necessarily disqualifications (depends on the size and location of the spot). And they certainly don't make your dog less of a Golden or interfere with his health. I say this as a proud owner of a substantially mismarked dog. The only thing he can't do is win in the show ring. And, like I said, a few white hairs on the chest wouldn't even hurt him there.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
No, it doesn't make him less of a golden! :)

Merlin has a white patch on his chest and his brother did too. I say "did" because it the patch went away as he grew up

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Nope, we have had two Goldens with white on their chest. As they grew older, the are less noticeable...

This is from the GR Standard: "With the exception of graying or whitening of face or body due to age, any white marking, other than a few white hairs on the chest, should be penalized according to its extent."

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
My Dillon's got a faint little white patch on his chest.. it's only a tiny clump of hairs but I can definitely see it in the light. I think it adds character ;)

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
There's a thread in the puppy area called "mismarked golden retriever". I'm sorry I don't know how to link to it.
While these threads might sound alike they really aren't. There's a huge difference (in terms of what a dog is or isn't) between a few white hairs on a dogs chest and four white feet, a white collar and a blaze....the later is not a golden retriever no matter how someone might try to twist the realities of genetics...

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Our Rusty was a deep red but had a patch of white on his chest. We loved seeing that patch so much that when he passed away in October we cut some of it off along with some hair from his gorgeous tail to put with his ashes to keep in memory of him.

·
The Truth Is Out There
258 Posts
Our Lad had a dark patch on his head. Witch has acherly got darker as he has got older this doesn't make him any less of a golden I acherly like it at least if we lost him I have no problem claiming him.

I read somewhere that many of the early golden had white hairs on there chest, just because the standard says it less desiable doesn't make them any less golden.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the responses! We wasn't to concerned about it because he was the greatest pup out of the litter! Now if I can have some success at the house training we will be in good shape...LOL!

Thanks everyone.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts
We just picked up our first golden pup and his name is Payton!

My question is: He has a little patch of white on his chest, but his facial features and everything else looks like pure golden... Does the patch of white make him less of a golden? or maybe better put... Can Goldens have a patch of white?

We sure do love him and he is the best puppy ever!

Thanks in advance

White markings have been with the breed since it's creation. The early Goldens in North America (Post WWI) often had white markings, usually on the chest. This trait continued pretty much unchanged for decades through the completion of WWII. Not too surprising due to the Great Depression and WWII which shifted the priorities of most of the worlds population.

After WWII, breeders in north america worked harder at reducing the amount of white on the Golden Retriever. When they were making choices as to which traits they wanted, going away from white markings was high on their list of desired goals.

Fast forward several generations to today. Many lines of Golden Retriever produce very little if any white markings at all. Other lines are still wrestling with white markings and have to keep that trait in mind when selecting parents for a prospective litter. If they don't stay on top of it for a couple of generations the white markings come back.

So, is Payton a purebred Golden Retriever? If he has his registration paperwork in order, more than likely he is. That little dash of white isn't going to change it.

If you're going to compete with him in the Conformation ring, that little dash of white may cost you some points, but it doesn't mean your pup isn't a Golden Retriever.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
when I got my white chested guy, someone on here told me it was "the magic white spot" & required petting/scratching a few times a day.

Bridger's patch is (was) good sized, but not at all noticeable now that there's bunches of fur

·
Registered
24 Posts
The best dog I ever owned had a huge blaze of white down his chest (and a small spot on top of his head). Its just superficial--it doesn't mean anything.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts