Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably late, but I just found a recipe that I used to treat my puppy's parvo.

My dog started showing signs of parvo the day after I took him home. We took him to the vet immediately, who confirmed it with a diagnosis. However, the fee to treat the disease was way too much for my family to afford, so I took it to google. This is just what I did; in no way does it replace veterinary care (it's still the best option) and I can't ensure that it works for everyone.

When my dog was diagnosed, he was also given an IV drip before we started this treatment.

Recipe for tea: (I found this online and it saved my dog's life)

2 Echinacea gels (split the gel and squeeze the inside out)
1 teaspoon honey
hint of garlic
1 cup powerade/gatorate/pedialyte
1 chamomile tea bag
1 peppermint tea bag

Bring the powerade to a boil, and add all of the ingredients.

If you have a mouth syringe, give your dog as much as you can of this without having him throw up. For me it was about 10 ml/half hour.

Meanwhile, the area in which the dog stays and the surrounding areas need to be disinfected with bleach. I did this every hour.

At your vet, ask for a prescription for tamiflu (medication that stops proliferation of the virus) and also buy some food thats really good for the stomach.

Repeat, repeat, repeat. My dog didn't want the food until the fourth day, when I noticed he had a lot more energy. I opened the can and he ran over and I was so happy I was feeding him with my hands straight from the can and gave myself several cuts (oops) (careful with the can)

Pretty sure this tea recipe could be used for kids suffering from the stomach flu (????)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parvo being a very serious and deadly condition with puppies, it is so important to go to the vet and get your puppies treated by a vet. Please do not rely on home remedies to treat something so serious.
yep! I know. It's just not everyone is able to afford the 8000+ treatment. And whatever we can do to help each other out you know?

Of course, maybe I didn't stress this but this should not be used to replace vet care.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why didn't you get your dog vaccinated against parvo? Our breeder did not vaccinate before sending pups home but we had our dog vaccinated within 48 hours after taking her home.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,746 Posts
I think the secret ingredient to the pup's success may not have been so much the tea as it was the Tamiflu. Tamiflu is absolutely miraculous if the disease is caught early and Tamiflu started before the disease has destroyed the gut, and big props to the OP for taking action right away. The tea looks like it is very good for keeping up electrolytes, calorie intake and energy. Very good info. My guess, though, is that taking swift action and treating with Tamiflu is likely what saved this dog's life.

This treatment has been around for a decade, but for some reason has gotten little publicity.

A New Treatment For Parvoenteritis
by Dr. Jack Broadhurst

April 24, 2004, the concept of treating Parvoenteritis in dogs with a neuraminidase inhibitor such as Tamiflu on the Veterinary Information Network’s Infectious Disease Board. Since it’s introduction, Tamiflu has been used successfully by veterinarians, shelter workers and rescue groups to treat Parvoenteritis in thousands of dogs, cats and raccoons throughout the world. In order to understand the how and why this treatment has been so universally successful, there are several terms and concepts that have to be discussed:

Tamiflu: is a commercially available source of a neuraminidase inhibitor that has been used successfully in these cases.

Neuraminidase: An enzyme that is produced by both bacteria and viruses. It is considered a virulence factor in viral and bacterial infections that require neuraminidase to remove biological barriers that protect the host from these pathogens.

Super infections: Any infection that requires both a virus and bacteria to produce an infection that is more pathogenic than either can produce alone. Veterinary examples: canine and feline parvo, canine kennel cough and influenza, feline URI, parvoenteritis in raccoons, and bloody scowls in deer.

The use of Tamiflu in canine, feline, and raccoon parvoenteritis: The success of using a neuraminidase inhibitor in treating canine and feline parvo is due to the suppression the production of bacterial neuraminidase, and has no effect on the Parvovirus' ability to replicate. Puppies can still develop myocarditis and CHF...kittens can still develop cerebellar hypoplasia...the patient’s feces will still contain the viral antigen even while the animal is recovering.

Tamiflu does not interfere with the replication of the Parvovirus,as a result, no mutant or resistant strains of the Parvovirus will be created from the use of Tamiflu in the treatment of Parvoenteritis.

Tamiflu should never be used to treat any animal that does not test (+) using the fecal antigen test prior to starting Tamiflu. All of the guidelines for using Tamiflu have been developed in cases that have had a (+) fecal Parvo test.

Dose: 1mg/lb that dose given every 12 hours for 10 consecutive treatments...requires a (+) fecal antigen test.... should be given w/in 48 hrs of onset of clinical signs...if no response after the first dose...double to 2mg/lb for the second, third dose...

Specific Breeds of Dogs: Dobes, Rotties, Retrievers, Pit Bulldogs, and Alaskan slead dogs...all require at least 2mg/lb as the starting dose as these breeds respond poorly to Parvo infections...

As a preventive: One can give animals have been exposed, but are not currently showing any clinical signs one dose of 1mg/lb once a day for 5 days...if these animals develop one or more clinical signs (vomiting/bloody diarrhea/anorexia)...they should be given 1mg/lb every 12 hr for a total of 10 treatments.

Animals requiring IV support: Animals sick enough to require IV support (fluids/antibiotics/antiemetics) respond poorly to Tamiflu as their clinical condition suggest that their GI tract has already been damaged beyond the ability of Tamiflu's ability to protect the patient. These animals should be started at 2mg/lb and the dose adjusted according to response every 12 hours.

Animals that vomit after being given oral Tamiflu: These patients can be given the same dose as an enema. You can also divide the contents of a 75mg capsule into lines and mix the appropriate amount into pancake syrup or honey and place under the tongue or in the lip fold.

Tamiflu Products: Suspension that you add 23 cc of water to get 25cc of 12mg/cc and 75mg capsules.... a flat of 10 capsules.... a 6 lb pup would get 0.5cc of the 12mg/cc suspension q. 12 hr x 10 Tx.

To treat a 5 lb puppy: Mix the contents of 1 capsule into 10 cc of Canine Rebound...get 10 cc @ 7.5mg/cc....Refrigerate and shake well and give 1cc q. 12 hrs x 10 treatments.... do not mix capsules with water as this water suspension is .very bitter and will cause the patient to vomit.. One can also use liquid VAL or a similar vitamin prep.

Tamiflu and FDA: On March 20, 2006, the FDA banned the use of Tamiflu and other neuraminidase inhibitors in treating chickens, ducks, turkeys and other birds...goes into effect in June 2006.... you can still use Tamiflu in dogs, cats, and raccoons.

In the emergency clinics or private clinics that are presented with cases whose disease course is unknown or have exceeded the 48 hrs time-frame: The professional staff should make the client aware of the poor response to Tamiflu due to the high levels of bacterial neuraminidase currently present in the patient's GI tract, and the presence of GI pathology created prior to presentation. Tamiflu will only prevent future pathology, and can not reverse any pathology created prior to treatment.

Treating Parvo requires the same mental process used in treating Diabetes Mellitus....The DVM begins with a standard initial dose of Tamiflu or insulin and then uses professional judgment to adjust the following doses required to get a clinical response.

In an uncomplicated case, presented within 48 hrs. of the onset of clinical signs, one should see no vomiting after the first dose...no diarrhea after the 2nd...and alert/eating after the 3rd dose. If there is no clinical response after the 3rd dose...you have either started using Tamiflu too late, have a secondary medical problem that needs to be addressed, or have the wrong diagnosis.

In summary, the introduction of the concept of using a neuraminidase inhibitor to treat canine, feline and raccoon Parvoenteritis, has open many new doors into the understanding of the pathobiology and treatment of this disease. Prior to April 24, 2004, Parvovirus was thought of a viral enteritis. Based on this concept, vaccines were developed to help prevent or reduce the severity of the clinical disease.

Once the disease was diagnosed, treatment protocols were all designed to address the various end-products produced during the disease. The presence of vomiting usually dictated that most drugs were given intravenously. Animals that were hospitalized usually remained 3-7 days with unpredictable prognosis.

This is because none of the treatments were addressing the core problem of excessive GI bacterial neuraminidase. They were being given to address all of the various end-reactions such as: vomiting, endotoxic shock, pain, bacterial septicemia, GI mucosal ulcerations and general organ failure. This approach required many drugs and many man hours to treat the multiple pathological processes associated with viral Parvoenteritis.

With the introduction of using a neuraminidase inhibitor (Tamiflu), we established that Parvoenteritis is not a viral enteritis, but a super infection that requires the presence of bacterial neuraminidase. When a neuraminidase inhibitor is use under the strict guidelines developed since April 24, 2004, the disease is not allowed to develop into the clinical disease currently known as viral Parvoenteritis. The commensal bacteria do not transform into pathologic bacteria, and the patient’s disease is not allowed to progress as described in the veterinary literature. In order to achieve this reversal, there has to be a definitive diagnosis and the neuraminidase has to be given according to established guidelines.

Dosage Info:

What is the difference between ml or cc and mg?.....ml or cc are terms to describe the amount of volume given or w/in a container...ie...1 ounce is 30cc or 30ml....

Mg is a term to describe the concentration w/in the amount of suspension/fluid...ie.. you can have a solution with 5mg/cc and another with 50mg/cc....the last is 10 times as concentrated or stronger than the first....when giving a liquid (suspension/solution) you have to know BOTH numbers.

If 23cc of water are added to a bottle containing the mfgs' amount of powder....you will end up with 25cc (volume) and each cc will contain 12mg (concentration)/cc.....to give a 6 lb puppy 1mg/lb...you would give 0.5cc or 6mg of the suspension.....a 12 lb puppy would receive 1cc of a 12mg/cc suspension....

Your puppies weigh between 7-9 lbs according to your 12/22/06 E-mail....they should be receiving at least 0.8cc of a 12mg/cc suspension...it would not hurt to give them 1cc or 12mg...this is still less than 2mg/lb....

If the pharmacy made up a 25mg/cc suspension...then each 0.1cc would contain 2.5mg and 4 x 2.5 = 10mg...she would be giving 10 mg every time she gave 0.4 of a 25mg/cc suspension.

Reactions: Prism Goldens
1 Posts
I was never really sure when a dog has parvo but it’s honestly easy to notice sooner than later. At first I noticed my 9 week old puppy wasn’t very strong/jumpy as normal, he’s a really chill dog so I really had to watch him. Everytime I picked him up it was sort of like a “im lazy just put me anywhere.” When it was time to eat he wasn’t interested , he didn’t drink any water . I didn’t have enough money for Paxxin so instead i bought Pedialyte , Charcoal-caps, and some Probiotic pills that help with digestive problems. Luckily my moms a nurse and had some prescribed medication called amoxicillin. I put 1 cup of Pedialyte, 2 charco caps , 1 full crushed tablet of amoxicillin, and 1 or 2 probiotic pills. I gave about 10 ml in a oral syringe every 30min-1hr and about 30ml of water every hour. (Sometimes sooner depending on the paleness of the gums). When he was able to drink water on his own without my help I bought baby food , chicken or beef, and let him eat that so he didn’t starve. sadly the next day he started throwing up everything I was giving him and his poop smelt wayyy different almost unbearable.after that I got my mom to bring home some more syringes and sodium chloride for IV’s . I stuck him Filling up the syringe with the sodium chloride all the way to 30 ml , I stuck him in between the collarbone on the back of his neck and Slowly squeezed it in. At first a large bubble forms but slowly goes away as the body absorbs the sodium chloride. It was hard and scary the first couple times but always make sure your hands are washed and clean and you have an extra set of hands, if you can, to help. I did this method and the oral syringe method everytime the bubble went down until he felt better enough to eat. Now he’s strong and such a happy mischievous runt .
BUT , if you do have enough money for “Paxxin” , this medicine is literally God’s work. I had 7 puppies all together , sadly 2 died from parvo before I even knew of the disease and what it does. 3 more of my pups contracted it but I saved them in time with the method above and the medication “Paxxin”(I ordered off Amazon about $50). I didn’t stop anything I was doing before when I was able to purchase Paxxin , just added it in the normal schedule with the directions on the back of the box . Good luck guys I really hope you can save em

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
NaCl is not always the fluid of choice- you should never ever subQ a dog without knowing the right fluid to use, and you can't know that without bloodwork. And that description of how to sub Q .. please don't do this yourself unless you're willing to lose your puppy. It isn't hard to do but you have to do it correctly. As Dana mentioned years ago Tamiflu is a 'cheaper' way to go. But the charcoal and amoxycillin - abx also needs to have a culture to know right one. Parvo is a virus not a bacteria so while abx might be useful in secondary infections it isn't going to help the parvo.

I hate seeing home remedies for deadly diseases. Next thing we'll see is some pot derivative being touted as a parvo cure.

Glad your puppy made it but timely vaccines are the thing to stop them from getting it. Timely in that they are given when passive immunity from mama is surmountable. No one should have a litter of puppies and not know parvo is a possibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts