Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get my puppy to stop eating out of the litterbox! We even bought a litterbox with a lid but Kaylee is still tall enough to reach her head into the cat's hole...and we have nowhere we can put the box that the cat can get it and the dog can't. Anyone ever have a similar problem, know any good solutions??

And now for venting/a lot of advice seeking....how do you tell a good friend/family member (my boyfriend's sister) that they aren't treating their animals well? Not that the pets are being mistreated...basically that they just suck as a pet parent? Especially a friend who does NOT respond well to criticism. Basically, she just ignores her animals. She buys them (she has an 11 month old golden and a kitten) and makes them both pretty much live in crates. She lives with her parents, so they let the dog out to go potty and they feed her (because my friend doesn't want to wake up, or miss her show, or get off the computer, always some retarded reason)...and then they crate her because when she's out, she's "too hyper" and "chews on too much stuff". Um, hello, what did you think puppies did?! The kitten is also crated, and I've never ever heard of anyone crating cats so it always is a shock for me. My friend even told me last night that now the kitten is crate trained so when she moves out on her own, she can leave the cat in the crate with no worries. I just hate it, I hate seeing this. And she takes her dog hiking maybe once a month, but only on leash...so the dog never gets to go out and play and interact with other dogs outside of my dog, and the 2 other dogs she lives with (whom she is always separated from so she doesn't "get too attached" when my friend moves out). Lately I've been taking the dog to the dog park with my puppy, and she won't play. She sits by my side and cowers at everyone/everything. It's sad. And whenever her dog and mine play together, my friend always yells at them for "playing too rough" because she doesn't want her dog to "be that way"...so her puppy is never allowed to wrestle or play. And right back to the crate she goes, as punishment? Everytime my friend watches our dog for us, Kaylee ends up having an accident on the floor because she's not watching her, and doesn't let her out, because she's just lazy. It's really just stupid and I'm fed up with her. I tell my boyfriend all the time how I wish we could adopt her dog, because she gets along so great with mine and having 2 goldens would be amazing. I just don't know what to do to try and improve these pets lives, or how to even go about bringing up the subject. I know it would not go over well..can anyone help? :uhoh:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
This is abuse! Keeping an animal crated so long is NOT just ignoring. See if you can get this dog from her. Sadly though, she might end up with another dog and do the same thing.

About your puppy eating from litterbox, trty putting the litterbox in a bigger crate and hole on one side, litterbox on the other. This is only if you have the room. I did hear of some kind of pills you give the pooper, so the poops wont be eaten? I dunno...just trying to find a solution.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Wow, I wouldn't let my friend alone with my puppy for the world. Not only is there the not letting her out - the chances of something horrible happening to your puppy every time you leave him/her there are high - like, she does let her out to the bathroom but doesn't watch her/him = possible escape or hit by car. As for the pets, I rally hope that someone here can give you helpful advice.

The kitty litter thing - oh, I know your pain. It's like chocolate to them. You will have to find a safe place to put it because breaking your puppy of this behavior is going to be really hard. Get creative. Can you put it in your bathroom and find a way to brace the door open just enough so that kitty can squeeze through but not puppy? Maybe install some shelving that you can cut up to act as stairs and a kitty box holder high enough that your puppy can't reach - as your puppy will continue to grow you would have to keep this in mind - I don't know anyone with a litter box on a shelf but hey, desperate times call for desperate measures. Ooh, hey, how about empying a lower cupboard putting a hole in it big enough for kitty to get through but too small for puppy? Or go simple, is there a place you can put a gate up that your puppy can't jump to get to? Point is, you will need to find a place that your puppy can't reach or create one in order to solve this problem. We have a room upstairs for our litterbox and still Max has gotten to the kitty poop a number of times. I know, super yucks.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
First the litterbox, do you have a tub or shower with a sliding glass door? My parents keep their cat's box in the shower and leave the door open a crack for the cat to slip through. You can put something in the door track to prevent it from opening further so the pup cannot push it open. My brother has a litter box that has the mechanical arm that combs through the litter. This box is totally enclosed with a door for the cat to enter the box. This might work for you.? Hope you find a solution.

As for your 'friend'. Good Luck. I had a similar situation with a family member. I eventually spoke up and my family member stopped speaking to me for over a year. We're fine now, but it took a very long time to get back to where we were before I 'had the nerve'...yes, it'll be your fault...to speak up on behalf of the animal....which was also another Golden.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
The litter box....ugh. We tried a boxes with a domes turned toward the wall and making it so that the door opened only a little. She got to it both times. The only thing that has worked is putting the boxes (we have 4 for 6 cats....that translates into lots of yummy snacks) in the laundry room and putting up a baby gate. So far she doesn't seem to be able to jump over the gate.

As for the other....just a very sad situation. If some how you could adopt the dog it would be a great thing.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Tell her your willing to take the pup off her hands. : ) IS it possible you can watch thepup a few hours a week...to give it some love?

Find articles on the psychological abuse she is doing to her puppy and suggest it might be best to find the pup a new home. Look I get family relationships and friends...but I have no tolerance for bad behavior toward animals.

Ask your boyfriend to talk to her or just flat out tell him you can't be around this person if they treat animals this way. Does he see what you see? If so it should be a team effort to teach her or try and get the pup a new home.

·
Michelle, M & M's mommy
432 Posts
That is horrible about your friend. I don't know if you can call someone about that as it seems like that would qualify as abuse.

As for the litter box... We have a litter box that has the hole in the top of the lid, which makes it impossible for the dog to get her head down into. There is also a litter box that has a dome top but the cat has to walk up stairs inside the dome and then down into the box part, which again makes it impossible for the dog to get to the litter.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Good ideas with the litter boxes!! I'll have to keep them in mind when we get our new addition.

As far as your friend is concerned, tell her how you feel. It's either that, or allowing this puppy to live in a life of misery. I think making things "uncomfortable" with the friend is worth it to this sweet puppy.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
That is horrible about your friend. I don't know if you can call someone about that as it seems like that would qualify as abuse.

As for the litter box... We have a litter box that has the hole in the top of the lid, which makes it impossible for the dog to get her head down into. There is also a litter box that has a dome top but the cat has to walk up stairs inside the dome and then down into the box part, which again makes it impossible for the dog to get to the litter.
Both of my dogs were able to get into the Boodadomes.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I have found that the best litterbox is the top loading one. That and the combination of the "leave it" command. My dogs love to check out the litterbox after they finish dinner. I always tell my husband that they are looking for dessert. I also had no luck with the Boodadome litterboxes. The dogs could just pop the lid right off.

As for this "friend". I sure wouldn't allow her to keep my dog(s), ever! I agree with providing her with information on how crating a dog too much can damage them physically and mentally. Also, you might want to provide her with how socialization is extremely important. Honestly, she doesn't really need to own any animals, in my opinion. I don't even understand having a kitten and keeping it crated any more than crating that poor puppy all the time for "convenience".

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I don't have any advice about the litter boxes, because we keep ours in our basement, and have a cat door in the big door that leads to the basement so the puppy can't fit through.

In terms of your friend, she makes me ill. Sorry if that sounds harsh, I know it's not your fault. I'd be here all day listing the reasons that dogs AND cats shouldn't live in crates. Training dogs yes, but that's it. I've never heard of putting a cat in a crate. That's just mean. Not to mention the poor pup will end up having all sorts of growing issues due to living it's life in a crate. That's abuse no matter how you put it. I say make an anonymous phone call.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Keeping a dog in a crate all the time will cause joint and muscle damage, if left in a crate long enough the damage is NOT reversible. It will also cause mental and social damage, which you are already seeing in her timidity and fearful behaviour. That dog needs out now. I'm sure the kitten can sustain the same damage. They have to move, run, stretch, etc. in order to grow properly, and just live normally. Your friend is physically abusing her animals.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I get to tout one of my favorite products again :)

The Carlson Gate!

Put the litter box in the bathroom, or another room, and put the gate up. The gate has a big door for humans to walk through, and if your cat doesn't like jumping, a small gate at the bottom for him to go through.

Everyone gets through except the dog :)

http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-930-E...2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1258383502&sr=8-2

NOTE: The amazon seller at this link is VERY expensive. Both Target and Amazon have it for $15 or more cheaper, but they are out of stock right now. Either Petco or Petsmart (I can never remember) has them as well.

I can't get my puppy to stop eating out of the litterbox! We even bought a litterbox with a lid but Kaylee is still tall enough to reach her head into the cat's hole...and we have nowhere we can put the box that the cat can get it and the dog can't. Anyone ever have a similar problem, know any good solutions??

And now for venting/a lot of advice seeking....how do you tell a good friend/family member (my boyfriend's sister) that they aren't treating their animals well? Not that the pets are being mistreated...basically that they just suck as a pet parent? Especially a friend who does NOT respond well to criticism. Basically, she just ignores her animals. She buys them (she has an 11 month old golden and a kitten) and makes them both pretty much live in crates. She lives with her parents, so they let the dog out to go potty and they feed her (because my friend doesn't want to wake up, or miss her show, or get off the computer, always some retarded reason)...and then they crate her because when she's out, she's "too hyper" and "chews on too much stuff". Um, hello, what did you think puppies did?! The kitten is also crated, and I've never ever heard of anyone crating cats so it always is a shock for me. My friend even told me last night that now the kitten is crate trained so when she moves out on her own, she can leave the cat in the crate with no worries. I just hate it, I hate seeing this. And she takes her dog hiking maybe once a month, but only on leash...so the dog never gets to go out and play and interact with other dogs outside of my dog, and the 2 other dogs she lives with (whom she is always separated from so she doesn't "get too attached" when my friend moves out). Lately I've been taking the dog to the dog park with my puppy, and she won't play. She sits by my side and cowers at everyone/everything. It's sad. And whenever her dog and mine play together, my friend always yells at them for "playing too rough" because she doesn't want her dog to "be that way"...so her puppy is never allowed to wrestle or play. And right back to the crate she goes, as punishment? Everytime my friend watches our dog for us, Kaylee ends up having an accident on the floor because she's not watching her, and doesn't let her out, because she's just lazy. It's really just stupid and I'm fed up with her. I tell my boyfriend all the time how I wish we could adopt her dog, because she gets along so great with mine and having 2 goldens would be amazing. I just don't know what to do to try and improve these pets lives, or how to even go about bringing up the subject. I know it would not go over well..can anyone help? :uhoh:

·
Registered
13,492 Posts

We are having the same problem with MacKenzie getting into the litterboxes. She is not allowed on the second floor where we keep them, but when she goes running up those stairs, I can't catch her fast enough and her mouth is already full.

Where did you get the litter box with the hole on the top?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the great advice guys :) We have a litterbox with the lid and the whole facing the wall, and even have it blocked off with empty water bottles (the big ones) and she still manages to get through. But you guys gave me some great ideas, I'll definitely have to work some of it out!

As for the friend, I agree the dog's safety and well being is more important than her feelings, it's a matter of getting her to really listen. I've talked to her mother, and she makes excuses and since she's the one who does let the dog out and make sure it gets fed, she doesn't see a problem and my main concern is what is going to happen when my friend moves out and these animals really never see the outside of a crate. My boyfriend has tried too, he hates seeing how she treats her dog too which is why we're trying to take her to the dog park and out with our dog away from his sister, to let them play and try and give her some interaction time with other dogs and just with the world in general. She's just the type of person that loves owning animals but hates the responsibility that comes with it, and pushes it off on everyone else and I agree 100% that she should not be allowed to own pets and I wish she didn't..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts