Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across this cool site, thought I'd share. You can look up incidents for ticks, worms, heartworms in your state

Parasite Prevalence Maps | CAPC Vet

Also wondering for those living in (northern) California, has anyone had problems with deadly parasites or Heartworm? I'm thinking of doing the heartworm preventative only in the warm months...the map shows the occurrence is a bit low out here.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
That is interesting. I wish the TBD map had a map for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever as well. I had a dog test positive for it in the early 2000s and am wondering how prevalent it is in my area.

As far as your question of heartworm, I'd probably discuss it with your vet who can give you a better idea of what he/she sees in terms of parasitic and heartworm cases in your area. I didn't check your area but if you have a moderate to high risk of parasites in your area, you may want to do the heartworm as well since it's protective against parasites too.

It's also interesting that the concentration of high risk for heartworm is in the south, with the exception of Indiana and Maine also being high!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts