Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Watsonmom
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 8 month-old Watson was diagnosed with panosteitis in his front ulna. He has been limping for over a month. The vet told me to limit his walks to once around the block and not let him chase balls, go to day care, or dog parks. This sounds so limiting for an active puppy! He's been so bored these past two weeks and has been naughtier because he's bored and not tired out. Does this sound right? Also, his only symptom is limping. Do you think I should medicate? I haven't yet. I didn't think he was in much pain because he seems as happy and playful as ever, but the vet said that limping is a pain symptom. Anyone have experience with pano? How long did it take to go away and what did you do? Thanks!

·
Wendy
864 Posts
I can't give you any advice on the pano, but my pup had a soft tissue injury on his front leg, when he was 4 1/2 months old. I had hoped it was pano and not elbow problems. The x-rays came back clean, so it was just a matter of keeping him inactive, which was extremely hard to do, since I have 2 dogs.

His lameness lasted a good 6 weeks and he spent a lot of time on leash in and out of the house. No jumping, running or playing. Trust me, I feel your pain! Not fun! Drove all 3 of us nuts!! I only gave pain meds when he was sore.
I taught new things, that didn't require alot of movement. Treat searching in the house. Marrow bones, were a huge life saver!! Stuffed kongs. I would freeze a bowl of water, with crumbled up treats in it.
We got through it, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'm just thankful, it wasn't more serious and he's fine now. Hopefully, it doesn't last much longer for Watson!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts