Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just read the grooming thread and i panicked.

re trimming the nails.

how, what,when, what if i hurt him?
how do i know where to cut to?

i know my nails hurt if i tear them or cut one too short.

maybe perdie will pop over and do them for me and show me how lol.

there will be a puppy kiss and a brew in it.:smooch:

seriously tho can it be too damaging if i mess it up?

i feel a groomer appointment coming on.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Dave I use a dremmel on my lot, you can usually see the quick so avoid that area and just snip off the sharp end bit, corn flour works a dream if you accidental cut to high at stopping the blood

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks. still a bit nervous tho. i have never even had a baby to look after before so i 'll be a nervous wreck lol.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my mum never used to cut babys nails, she would chew them apparently its less risky and dead easy.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
My guy's aunt told me to do that, too- I gotta admit that freaks me out! lol I would never ever chew my own nails. I guess I'll see what happens! It's amazing how much I have to learn. I feel like a new puppy owner here must feel... puppies are 2nd nature to me. Babies? I have never even held one.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Have her lay down and let you handle her feet.. between the toes, etc. When she is calm with that tap a nail with a clipper.. give a treat.. gradually tap all of them. When she is comfortable with you doing that.. go to a groomer, vet, breeder, etc. who can show you how to do it. Have some stiptic powder on hand.. I have.. but have never needed it, thank God.. I just trim the sharp tips every week or two. Then YOU get the sloppy kisses and the brew! :D

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol it's surprising how much we panic because we only want to do whats best.
then when we are suddenlt in the situation we dreaded it all seems to fall into place.

but be sure not to mix up the kongs with baby food rofl. or the baby might start chewing the walls and crawl into a crate to sleep.

while the puppy would be in a stroller and sucking a pacifier.

omg imagine that scenario really happening what a funny thing that would be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts