Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a vet appointment later today but I wanted to see if anyone had experienced this. Sash wasn’t quite himself the last few days. Constipation was the first problem. Tried pooping about every three hours Thursday pm and yesterday. Was up several times last night same. Last evening was very quiet - not himself! Had a semi-loose stool at about 7:30 this morning. Then came in and I was petting him. He was very calm, letting me pretty and rub him. But then when I put my hands on the side of his head, on his cheeks to scratch under his ears he cried out. Now if you touch in a certain spot there he cries and you can feel the muscle spasm. He let me look in his mouth and touch all his teeth. Nothing looks wrong. Now we noticed his head trembling slightly when he’s laying down. Almost as concerning - he did not ask for breakfast. He wakes us up everyday at 5:30 for breakfast (I make him wait until at least 6). But today he slept until he asked to go out at 7:30 and then didn’t look for food. After we found the sore areas our older Golden got up and we fed them. He ate fine. But he’s not playing with Gable and sleeping again. Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
I’d also make sure he doesn’t have an ear infection. Sometimes dogs will shy away or cry out when you pet their heads/faces when their ears are hurting. Either way I’d take him to the vet if he isn’t acting himself. I hope your little guy feels better!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vet had to sedated him to examine his face/mouth. He did not see anything wrong with him, no swelling, lumps, bumps, injuries etc. He did not have a fever. He had no other symptoms that help the vet figure out what it was. He said it could be ear infection, but he’s wondering if it’s muscular and he hurt himself possibly wrestling with Gable or doing some other puppy thing. We did determine through rectal exam that he does have loose stools which are likely unrelated so we’re treating that separately. He is giving us an antibiotic in case he has an infection of some sort, should cover ear infection, tooth abscess, etc. He did give him an injection of painkiller that should keep him feeling pretty good for the rest of the day. Keep your fingers crossed!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Better today but still some pain. After sedation wore off yesterday Sash was acting better and even played with Gable quite a bit without any sign of pain, probably due to pain meds. Slept through the night until late (for him) this morning. Wanted food right away. Alert but very quiet. Then he started playing with Gable and at some point Gable must have hit the sore spot and Sash cried out. That ended playtime. Poor Gable feels so bad. We gave Sash a pain pill and the antibiotic this morning. So I guess we are just in wait and see mode.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I would suggest keeping Sash quite these days and avoid playing with Gable any rough games. I do not know what you use but would suggest definitely a harness. Sounds a little hurt around cervicale/neck area.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trying to keep the boys apart. It’s been a lot more calm since Sash cried earlier. I think it scared them both.

Weirdly, he is still leaving his tongue out a little bit again today a lot of times.

·
Kristy
9,417 Posts
Don’t see any of the other symptoms of that, so he wants to see how he does over the next few days.
Have you been in touch with Sash's breeder? I would have thought the antibiotics would be kicking in by now and he'd be feeling better.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you been in touch with Sasha's breeder? I would have thought the antibiotics would be kicking in by now and he'd be feeling better.....
I have not - I had knee surgery today so crazy timing for all of this. We have seen no evidence of the pain today. Eating fine, chewing toys, light playing with Gable. (I have not specifically touched the sore area. He seems much better in that he is more himself when he is awake - he’s happy, tail wagging etc. But he’s tired and extra cuddly, much calmer than usual. Is that the antibiotic / pain pills?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts