Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 week old pup Kahuna HATES the leash! I have never met a dog that hates the leash so much! I introduced it by distracting him with a piece of boiled chicken while I caressed him with the leash so he could learn to associate it with relaxation... Exactly what I did to introduce the collar, which worked well... On or off he wants to chew it! I tried to attach it and just let him drag it around, but he WILL NOT GO FOR IT. Today I sprayed Bitter Apple over the entire leash hoping to deter him from chewing it and for the most part he has, but sometimes he still does... My other technique was going to be using a choke chain for the first bit of lead so the chewing on metal would deter him.... We are on our way to successful leash training, but I was wondering if there's anything I'm not thinking of? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So am I to assume that nobody has any advice because there is none left to give? I guess I know everything... (obviously not, just trying to get a response). I'd really appreciate other views!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
They all seem to like to chew on the leash! Your chain idea might work, I've seen others use something similar. I used to spray my leash with bitter apple too.

Some other suggestions would be to work on having your dog drop the leash from his mouth. You can teach this by clicking and treating (if you are clicker training) when the dog drops the leash. Check you tube for some videos for "Leash Chewing". I know I've seen some good ones there.

I've seen people unintentionally turn this into a big game where they yell and try to yank the leash from the dog's mouth. Great fun for the dog, but probably not you! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts