Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that Payton's pad are really rough and a few have little cracks. I can rub them and it doesn't hurt her, but I was wondering if there was something I could put on them to keep them soft? Hubby wanted to put lotion on them, but I was scared she'd lick it off. Any suggestions would be helpful!
Thanks!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Musher's Secret is available online. It will soften them up some. It also works to protect from winter salt on the roads and helps prevent snow from balling up between their toes.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I use mushers secret and love it. Bailey loves that I put it on, she hates the snow balling up in her feet.

·
16,000 Posts
Please note that the pads of the feet, being the "soles of their shoes", are supposed to be rather rough and tough. Softening them too much with creams and balms will make them more prone to injuries. Obviously, if they crack or are raw and bleeding, they need to be treated, but this happens rarer than you'd think.
Some of the old time judges who were Dog Men and Women in their time will still check pads on sporting and working breeds to see that they are properly tough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts