Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon we took Paco out for a walk. We were with some friends and their dogs in the woods on a place we never were before. The dogs, also Paco were off-leash. I didn't know there was a children's farm. We heard some people screaming and Paco was gone at that moment. We found him on the childrens' farm with a rabbit in his mouth shaking his head like crazy. He killed that rabbit in front of a dozen young children. I'm always proud on my golden but not today.:no: And the really bad thing is: it was my fault.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
This afternoon we took Paco out for a walk. We were with some friends and their dogs in the woods on a place we never were before. The dogs, also Paco were off-leash. I didn't know there was a children's farm. We heard some people screaming and Paco was gone at that moment. We found him on the childrens' farm with a rabbit in his mouth shaking his head like crazy. He killed that rabbit in front of a dozen young children. I'm always proud on my golden but not today.:no: And the really bad thing is: it was my fault.
oooooh Paco...........how could you ? I wouldn't have been impressed if it had had been Tom either. Did you get told off ??

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Dogs will be dogs. My Whippets and other sighthounds have killed many critters on both sides of the pond. I've never had a Golden with the speed or agility to take down a hare, though.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Poor you and poor Paco too. That's some very bad luck. Though my golden Finn adores kitties and is gentle with small dogs, he once pulled a seagull down out and it was utterly horrific. He also got a squirrel. Paco probably has no idea why he didnt get a high five.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oooooh Paco...........how could you ? I wouldn't have been impressed if it had had been Tom either. Did you get told off ??
I spoke with the director from that children's farm and some parents. It was OK. I don't blame Paco but it didn't feel good this afternoon.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Oh man. I am so sorry for you. I know that had to be traumatic for you and the kids.:(

Poor Paco. He just was following his instincts.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Varmints of the world beware, our pups are after you :). Try not to feel too bad Rik, it is their nature.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
My Charlie would do the same Daisy did catch a rabbit had her feet on it holding it down :uhoh: then let it go .

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. I know it is his nature and instinct. I don't blame him. I learnt about it and it will not happen again.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Paco does have a bit of fire in his eyes, you capture it so well with your pictures. This doesn't surprise me at all but it is rather shocking in the wrong context :p: Poor Paco, he didn't have any idea.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paco does have a bit of fire in his eyes, you capture it so well with your pictures. This doesn't surprise me at all but it is rather shocking in the wrong context :p: Poor Paco, he didn't have any idea.
He has fire in his eyes and he is just like he looks. Now he is laying next to me and I look into his beautiful brown eyes. I will never bring him in a situation like today.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
As you realize Rik, it happens. I have a rabbit that visits us most mornings, I think he waits for me to come in the yard with the dogs. If Oriana ever gets a hold of it I know it will be the end of the road for that furry little jokster.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Just wanted to add RIP poor bunny. :( One of our dogs a few years back got hold of nest of baby bunnies...poor bunnies didn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Paco was just being a dog. You just did make me realize though, that I can see our Tucker doing the exact same thing. Sorry you had to experience it first hand.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Paco has no idea that what he did was wrong...my girls would do/and have done the same (RIP possum playing dead in the front yard).
Don't be too hard on yourself, Rik...we still love you both just the same:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts