Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping that members, breeders, rescue, can help me. I recently lost my three year old Golden to an extended bout of epilepsy. Those interested can visit the thread under my name and hopefully can see the appreciation I extended to all of the wonderful support replies, advice, and suggestions.
I never thought I’d be ready to replace Boomer but being a healthy, active business owner where the business is run by my employees for the most part and I have all of the free time I need, I thought I’d start the process of finding a replacement companion.
I’d prefer a dog over a year and a half as I’m wary of another Golden with epilepsy, but I’m open to suggestions and flexible. I can travel, I have a motorhome, but Southeast would be preferable as I am in NE Florida. But don’t let that hamper good suggestions. I will gladly pay as money is not an issue, and I offer the following, sort of, application. I mention all of this as I almost had a Golden placed with me but the breeder reneged at the last minute for the simple reason I could not fence my yard, not because of any restrictions, but because of the geometry of the property. I would be willing to incorporate an electric fence but never offered that as I suspected the fence only part of the reason for reneging. I also might add, three years of Boomer did not ever require a fence.
I live on not heavily traveled side street, with no other homes within a ½ mile, that dead ends. I am 79, fit as a fiddle, walk 5 miles a day, and am not a couch-potato. I own my own home and business, no other occupants in my large home other than myself. I live on tidal (used to be deep water all of the time) tributary off of the Intracoastal Waterway. My dog will never be boarded, and will be my constant companion. Boomer was afforded the best medical care, yet, the grand mal seizures eventually won the battle.
I’m hoping this website can help with me finding a replacement for my dear Boomer. I truly miss having a Golden in my home.

·
Super Moderator
281 Posts
Hi JP! I know of 2 wonderful Florida breeders. We got our boy from the well respected Leongolden in Wellington FL. Wonderful breeder, they make you feel like family.
Second is a member of this forum, Prism :) I believe Prism is located in Ocala FL.

·
Super Moderator
1,091 Posts
I have two Goldens that I bought when they were "older." One was 10 months (from an Atlanta breeder) and one who was 15 months old (from a Michigan breeder). I'm not a puppy person so I spent considerable time researching the topic of an older puppy/young adult. The absolute best way to find such dogs is to pick a handful of reputable breeders from whom you would buy a puppy. Introduce yourself. Let them know of your interest in an older puppy/young adult. Follow their Facebook page. In my experience, breeders update their Facebook page long before they update their website, especially if they have decided to release an older puppy/young adult that they had kept. Additionally, because you've chatted with several breeders, they may contact you when they know of another breeder who has an older puppy/young adult for sale.

(There are also specific questions you should ask the breeder when buying an older puppy/young adult because it is different from buying an 8 week old puppy, but that's a post for another time. I also advise being open to a broad geographic area since an older puppy/young adult from a reputable breeder is not as common as an 8 week old puppy. For example, I live in CA and my two Goldens in this category were from Michigan and Georgia.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not that I'm NOT a puppy person, if you knew the details of my history I'm trying to avoid epilepsy, as I lived with and lost a dear friend of three years to epilepsy. Epilepsy, while not a sure thing, tends to manifest itself usually, but not always, after a year or so. It did so with Boomer (pic is my avatar), so I'm likely being unduly cautious. Getting an older dog begs additional interesting questions as to why breeder still has an older dog. Of course many reasons, to be sure. I have time, a motorhome, and can travel most anywhere. Time and $$$$ not an issue. Thanks for great advice, I was hoping to short circuit the process you recommended by using this site as perhaps finding a breeder; I almost had one but the breeder reneged the last minute for fencing issues. Thanks again . . .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi JP! I know of 2 wonderful Florida breeders. We got our boy from the well respected Leongolden in Wellington FL. Wonderful breeder, they make you feel like family.
Second is a member of this forum, Prism :) I believe Prism is located in Ocala FL.
I have been in contact with Robin/Prism and would like to contact the Wellington breeder, but seems I cannot find, or distinguish their facebook nor website. Can you please furnish a URL/website, facebook link, or, whatever to make direct contact and may I use you as a reference/former client?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I read about Boomer and deeply sorry I am for what you both went through.I did not know what I had to write than.Still missing the right words ...
For a new golden,you can contact G.R.E.A.T in Florida but for us volunteers and rescues electrical fence is out of question.Not all dogs live in homes with huge gardens.Some of them lives in apartments.A rescue will ask you to reserve for him at least a safe space which is secured by normal fence which can be even % 10-20 of your total yard.There are however 2 more Golden rescues in Florida which are both doing amazing works.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for kind words and the wake-up call. I have plenty of area on my property where I can erect traditional fencing, but I was focused on just the front of the house which did not have enough depth for the easement requirements of Jacksonville.I also have a large adjacent to my home property that can be properly fenced.
Thanks again,

·
Super Moderator
281 Posts
Thanks for kind words and the wake-up call. I have plenty of area on my property where I can erect traditional fencing, but I was focused on just the front of the house which did not have enough depth for the easement requirements of Jacksonville.I also have a large adjacent to my home property that can be properly fenced.
Thanks again,
I have been in contact with Robin/Prism and would like to contact the Wellington breeder, but seems I cannot find, or distinguish their facebook nor website. Can you please furnish a URL/website, facebook link, or, whatever to make direct contact and may I use you as a reference/former client?
Aesthetic posted they’re FB page :) Carlotta and Mustapha are incredibly knowledgable and kind people. I hope you find what you’re looking for soon ❤

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Oh, what great news! I am so happy for you.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
I was so so so happy when she told me she'd changed her mind.... I pressed about as hard as I felt I had room to, you so impressed me, can provide such an amazing life for him. I'm glad she rethought it. SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to take some pix and thank everyone so much. Thanks especially to you Robin. I esp want to start a thread and can’t remember who prompted me not to wait such sage advice. Thank all of you...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts