Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum and quite honestly wish I didn't have to be here since I found it because I'm worried about my pup. Jake is 12 1/2 years old. He is on apoquel (allergies), enanapril (for his kidneys...protein in his urine) and Thyro Tabs for his thyroid. For the past 3 years, we have been feeding him a homemade diet. He is the light of my life and right now I can't stop crying about him.

About 10 days ago, his back legs gave out on him. When I kept going over it in my mind, I thought I kind of saw him jerk forward and then fall, but I wasn't sure. About four days later, it happened again but it looked like he was twitching. Over the past 4 or 5 days, it looks as though he is having a seizure. The weird thing is that it mostly happens after he wakes up and is stretching and shaking his head. All of a sudden his whole body twitches for a few seconds. This sometimes happens over and over for a few minutes. Afterwards he looks at me confused as if to say what is wrong with me?

I took a video of it and sent it to the vet. He thought it looked like a seizure and wanted to try pheno to see if the "seizures" stopped. We started him on it an hour ago. The vet never took any tests since the seizures started and want to try to treat it this way. He never mentioned Thyroid or anything else.

I really don't know what I'm asking of any of you other than something to make me feel a little better about what my pup is going through. One thing I know for sure is that it's very scary.

Sorry for babbling and thanks for reading.

·
Super Moderator
680 Posts
So sorry to hear about your difficulties. Sounds like a lot going on with your pooch that perhaps deserves a second opinion. Not sure I would assume that the disorientation, loss of coordination & strength is related to seizures. Even if that is the case I would wonder about an underlying cause. Perhaps it is time to have a direct conversation with your vet about your concerns. If you don't like what you hear, seek a second opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention that about a year ago he was scooting. Thought he was just itchy. No, he has an anal gland tumor. I am so overwhelmed.

·
Super Moderator
680 Posts
Yes I understand that feeling. What can help is clear information and explanations as to why medical decisions are being made with you included in the decision making process. Has your vet seen Jake or just the video?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just the video. He has been Jake's vet all of his life. I was kind of surprised that he didn't want to see him.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You may want to ask about a referral to a neurologist if you don't feel you're getting answers from your vet.

My senior had some similar symptoms, though not identical and we went to a neurologist and got a diagnosis, doing so involved a CAT scan. My boy was a bit younger than yours and I am fortunate enough to be able to afford this, so I wanted to get to the bottom of some very strange symptoms. With seizures and anything involving the brain, getting a diagnosis can be very difficult and expensive and you will have to think about how far to go and how much to put your boy through. The medication will quickly control seizures, but I am pretty sure getting a definitive diagnosis will require imaging - at least that's my experience.

I'll just mention that my boy also had a squamous cell tumor removed prior to this, and the oncologist we consulted said to stop Apoquel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to be honest here. I have been reading on here for hours...especially in the Seizures thread. I am so overwhelmed with worry and grief over what to do and what not to do. I am staring at Jake waiting for something to happen. I am worried about what the pheno will do to him. I am learining things I didn't want to learn. I know knowledge is power but right now its not working for me. I am scared to death. I have to stop looking.

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,831 Posts
I have to be honest here. I have been reading on here for hours...especially in the Seizures thread. I am so overwhelmed with worry and grief over what to do and what not to do. I am staring at Jake waiting for something to happen. I am worried about what the pheno will do to him. I am learining things I didn't want to learn. I know knowledge is power but right now its not working for me. I am scared to death. I have to stop looking.
Although your current Vet has been Jake's vet all his life, I would get a second opinion and ask about a referral to a neurologist.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I posted for the first time last night in the general health thread, but this seems to be the right place.

My heart Jake is 12 years and 8 months old. About 10 days ago, his back legs gave out. After thinking about it, I realized that it looked like he jerked forward first but I thought I was crazy. AFter a few more days passed, his body was kind of trembling for a few seconds. It was almost as if he was cold but he wasnt. Next day, his head twitched and bobbed a little. I would describe it almost like someone with Parkinsons. Well, since Wednesday he has these moments of his head and body twitching. It lasts about 5 seconds at most. Sometimes he would have 3 or 4 of these a few minutes apart. I took a video and sent it to his vet. He thinks he might be having seizures. As of last night, he has been on Pheno.

Past health history: Apoquel for allergies......Enalapril for protein in his urine....Thyrotab for hypothoride. Now he is on the Pheno.
He has only had 3 doses so far and is already showing signs of Ataxia (amazing how after 1 day I am using medical words learned from his forum. :(

I am sad, depressed, crying, overwhelmed, you name it! I keep reading the forum looking for something to give me hope, but I just get more depressed.

So 1 question I have is how long does it usually take for them to get used to the pheno and for the Ataxia to lessen...or doesn't it? I wish I could upload the small video that I sent to the vet, but so far can't figure out how to do it.:|

:crying::frown2:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't have any experience or knowledge of this either but hopefully some one does. No one likes to feel overwhelmed and I'm sorry you are. Hopefully you will get some answers. Also sending good thoughts your way.

·
Kristy
9,158 Posts
I am so sorry for your heartache. Have you reached out to the vet with your questions? I hope you are able to get the answers you need and it allows you to make the best decisions for Jake's quality of life and your peace of mind as you navigate this. Have you tried searching facebook for some groups or a Golden Retriever discussion group where you might get more input from GOlden owners who have gone through this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I'm posting in the wrong thread? Isn't this for Seizures? I don't know why I'm having a hard time finding what I'm looking for, or where I posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way, Ataxia is the loss of coordination. This is what is happening to Jake. After 3 doses of the Phenobarbitol, he can barely get up and walk. When he does, his back legs cross.

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,831 Posts
Maybe I'm posting in the wrong thread? Isn't this for Seizures? I don't know why I'm having a hard time finding what I'm looking for, or where I posted.
You're posting in the Seizure thread, the thread you started yesterday is in the Health and Anatomy section.

Did you call your Vet about the problems your boy is having with the medication?
If he's having a lot of problems, I would call an Emergency Vet Clinic.

I don't have any experience or knowledge with seizures either.

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
I have no advice but I'll keep you in my thoughts. So many of us have dealt with similar situations trying to figure out the problem...if only they could talk to us.

·
Super Moderator
680 Posts
Sopranosgal - I have merged this thread with the thread you created under "Golden Retrievers with Seizures." Hopefully that will keep the responses more organized for you and continue to provide information that is helpful.

·
Registered
549 Posts
So 1 question I have is how long does it usually take for them to get used to the pheno and for the Ataxia to lessen...or doesn't it?
If the ataxia is being caused or exacerbated by the Phenobarbital, he should adjust to it after a few weeks of being on it. Sometimes seizures are due to misfiring neurons caused by epilepsy and sometimes the misfiring neurons are being caused by another underlying condition which may also cause ataxia. Hopefully the Phenobarbital controls the seizures and he doesn't have any other underlying conditions. You may want to consider bringing him to a veterinary hospital that has vets that specialize in neurology. I hope you see some improvement soon!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts