Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Crate training is the only way to go in my opinion. Also I gate off a puppy-proofed area of my house. Each dog is unique, but they need to "earn privileges" to other rooms. A golden puppy I think you have two items to consider 1)housebreaking 2) chewing/ingesting items.

What seems to work for me is no eating after 6pm no water after 7pm. Last walk is about midnight and they usually seem ok until about 5:30. While they are still little, when they come out of the crate they never hit the floor, but rather get their collar and leash on and get carried outside. I go to the same spot and allow no investigating beyond that leash length area until business is done. High amount of praise with the command you use to "go" when they do the act, some people give treats (I don't). Once they do their business it is is time to play, investigate. When we are in the gated off play area we play and just try to act normal, correcting improper chewing.

When the puppy starts getting sleepy, or I have to leave the room, it is crate time with a toy. Every time they go in the crate, they need to go out so I repeat the process. Over time they go less frequently and you will learn their cues. As they learn the rules, the terrain in the house increases. Golden puppies like to chew and chew. Socks were always a favorite with our duncan, and i actually caught him opening hampers to get at them~

Establishing a schedule based on your household activity really helps. Tethering the dog to you helps too, so that you always have an eye on them as you go through your day. I like having a safe area though you can put them in as they grow and get a bit wild for a bit.

We always keep the crate not in our bedroom, some people will have an opposite opinion, but this is what works best for us. Good Luck with your puppy!

Reactions: goldprof

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
I have never restricted access to water after a certain time of night. Mine never peed or pooped in their crates/playpens. Last out is around 11pm but my 9 pm by puppies were always in sleep mood and did not really go to the water bowl. If they were thirty they could drink.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts