Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Finn
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am new to this forum, so I hope I am posting this in the right place :)

My one-year-old boy, Finn, has basically had a life-long history of stomach issues. We brought him home at 8 weeks from a good breeder, and he seemed to have no issues until about 12 weeks or so. Since then, we have experienced episodes of terrible diarrhea, which has landed us in the vet's office more times than I can count. When we brought him home he was eating Purino Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy Formula, along with a small amount of Honest Kitchen Grain-Free Chicken dehydrated mix. The breeder encouraged the use of daily probiotics, which we have practiced since bringing him home. We kept him on this food until the first few episodes of stomach issues, followed by an attempt to switch him onto Wellness Large Breed Puppy Chicken/Brown Rice formula- which ended with the same result after a period of time. We have had numerous fecal tests, blood tests, screened for giardia, and even a GI panel with no definitive answers other than "stomach sensitivity". Ultimately, the vet ended up prescribing Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Puppy food as a temporary solution many months ago- yet, here we are, still stuck on this diet. I have attempted to very gradually switch him off of this diet a few times now with no success. I have tried Natural Balance L.I.D. Chicken and Brown Rice Puppy, Nutro Lamb and Brown Rice Puppy, and Blue Buffalo Blissful Belly. We always work up to the ratio of about 1/4 or 1/2 of the new food incorporated into his meals when the symptoms begin again. Most recently, our new vet recommended that we try switching to Royal Canin Digestive Care, as it is within the same brand but not RX. We slowly worked up to about 1/4 added to his existing food when the diarrhea began. In addition to the stool issues, he has terrible fishy breath that I feel must be linked to his digestive issues, as his teeth and mouth are clean. He also typically vomits bile about once a week, however, this is a huge improvement from when he was younger.

I feel terrible that this keeps happening, as I know it causes him discomfort. His stool quality on the GI diet is great, however he is developing an overall aversion to the food. The ingredients are not great, and I'd ultimately love to feed him something higher quality someday. I'm just at a loss and I'm unsure of what to do next. I've briefly looked into home cooking his meals, however I understand that requires a lot of effort and knowledge to ensure a nutritionally complete diet. Our new vet didn't seem too anxious to switch him off of the GI diet, but it is expensive and he's not thrilled about eating it. If anyone has had similar experiences, I'd love to hear your stories and any possible resolutions! Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,676 Posts
How old is your pup now?

The Chicken might be causing problems, a lot of dogs don't do well on chicken, soy or corn.
BB has been known to cause stomach problems too because it has so many different ingredients in it.

I have a Sr boy I adopted at 2, he'll be 12 in March. He was 15-20 lbs underweight when I adopted him and had a sensitive stomach on top of it. I tried various brands and formulas before I found one that worked.

Members here on the Forum recommended Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach. I have been feeding the Salmon formula for almost 10 years now. I also only give Salmon treats too. If I give my guy a different protein source, he will have an upset stomach, that's why I only give salmon treats as well.

What treats are you giving?

·
Registered
Finn
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is your pup now?

The Chicken might be causing problems, a lot of dogs don't do well on chicken, soy or corn.
BB has been known to cause stomach problems too because it has so many different ingredients in it.

I have a Sr boy I adopted at 2, he'll be 12 in March. He was 15-20 lbs underweight when I adopted him and had a sensitive stomach on top of it. I tried various brands and formulas before I found one that worked.

Members here on the Forum recommended Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach. I have been feeding the Salmon formula for almost 10 years now. I also only give Salmon treats too. If I give my guy a different protein source, he will have an upset stomach, that's why I only give salmon treats as well.

What treats are you giving?
He is one as of August 30th. I have considered that chicken may the be issue, however the Royal Canin GI food is chicken-based, and we have given him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice during his episodes, which has helped to firm things back up. I would be open to trying the Purina PP Sensitive formula, though his initial issues started on a Purina PP formula in the beginning. Might be worth a try anyway!

He doesn't really get many treats. When he does, he gets dehydrated chicken jerky or Nutro Crunchy Blueberry treats. We've basically ruled out treats being the issue as he doesn't get many and when he does, he doesn't experience any symptoms.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,676 Posts
If you decide to try it, buy a small bag of it, do a gradual change of the food.
Add 1/4 of the new food for the first few days, then gradually increase the amount of new food while you are reducing the old food by the same amount each day until he's only eating the new food.

·
Registered
Finn
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you decide to try it, buy a small bag of it, do a gradual change of the food.
Add 1/4 of the new food for the first few days, then gradually increase the amount of new food while you are reducing the old food by the same amount each day until he's only eating the new food.
Yes, we have definitely been doing that all along. Thank you!

·
Registered
421 Posts
No chicken for amber either. She had issues which were worked out over time. These days we give her wet and dry food by zignature. We also add a little probiotic powder with every meal. No problems for a long time now.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems with Finn. My 6 year old did well on Hill's Science Diet for Sensitive Stomach & Skin, both kibble and canned after several weeks of nausea and vomiting. My vet put him on antibiotics and prescribed Cerenia, 1/2 tablet (160m) which I never gave him and later told me to give him a Pepcid A/C (generic Famotidine much less expensive) daily which really cleared up his vomiting in a week. I have also found 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to be very helpful for alleviating an upset stomach and a preventative for vomiting. Don't know whether your dog is too young for Pepcid. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts