Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Jack's mama
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Jack is now 10 months. When when we are walking him on lead he does very well....until we have a passer-by (dog or human). He knows that he is supposed to stay by our side and stay calm but I think sometimes it becomes too for him to bear. He turns into a little wiggle worm and holds his place until he can no longer stand it...and then lunges! We work with him and don't let him come in contact until he is calm or hold him off to the side while they pass allowing no contact while giving him the "leave it" command. He seems to be getting better as he gets older. I have heard others say "oh, he is just a puppy yet" and others say "Yup, that's the breed, he'll always be like that". So I'm just curious...is this something he will grow out of with time and training, or is it in his genes to always get excited to see other people and dogs?

P.S. When we take him to the dog beach he greets and after that is as calm as can be and acts like he doesn't even care that any other dogs or people are there. So this stumps me as to the reason for the crazy first response?!?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Keep working on what you are doing. While he is in the correct position keep giving him praise. He will get better with time. While he is calm maybe you can have the person greet him so he wont have cause to keep being a wiggle worm.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I'm so glad you asked this. I have TWO wiggle worms. When people come up to them (or even like, if my mom or dad or someone is outside) I make them SIT before they get any attention. But they are still jumpy and wiggly. Drives me nuts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts