Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday evening my four year old and Sam were outside playing when he runs in urgently screaming.."Mum Mum, Sam's eating the plumber!'
Knowing the plumber was not here I rushed out to find Sam up on two legs,grabbing the branch of our plum tree, pulling it down and picking the plums off and eating them! She showed incredible intelligence the way she was doing it. Very methodically grabbing it, pulling it down,running her teeth along the branch so the plums fell off and eating them off the ground! Clever dog! I then told my son the differences between plums and plumber!!!! Sam seems to enjoy them a lot. She also tried to strip our cherries off the tree from the branches she could reach. She was up on two legs for the longest time!!! I swear with some training she could walk on two legs like those circus dogs! Not that I would want to though!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes I think goldens also have some dexterity with their paws as well. It's like Blondie has fingers sometimes instead of claws -- she does this thing with some of her toys and her Kong ball where she is on her back all streched out and balances the toys or ball between her paws like she is holding the objects. With one toy it almost looks like she is twirling a baton. With her Kong ball it's like she is drinking from a bottle - a funny site. I am afraid she is going to learn how to open the garage door next - so I never leave her in there alone!

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sam does the same things whilst lying on her back and holding things with her paws. Must be a GR trait! It is very human like. She uses her paws very well in other ares too. next time I see her going for the plumbs I will try and get a photo!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That's a cute story - both the little boy part & the doggy part. Enjoy every second of them because they grow up fast! Little boys and doggies!

Regarding fruit, this past summer we moved to the country and had many, many raspberry bushes on the line between the neighbors and us. Abby just loved the raspberries. I couldn't pick them fast enough for her or she'd start picking them herself. I was afraid she'd stick her tongue so I'd pick them for her. I'm sure though when I wasn't around, she would enjoy herself. Buffy acted like she wanted them but then would spit them out.

Buffy does the thing on her back and holding toys with her paws like they're hands. It's amazing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts