Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Faith ate about 4 chocolate cookies and 2 pieces of chocolate fudge when I ran out to Walmart this morning. It's already been in her system for two-ish hours so it's not worth trying to get her to vomit.

So, we're in watch and wait mode. I don't think it's enough that it will cause a toxic reaction, but I'm expecting an upset tummy and loose poops.

everyone stop in here and tell me how much your dog has eaten and been fine. i need reassurance.

i swear i'm going to kill her if she doesn't stop dumpster diving and counter surfing soon! :mad:

·
Registered
306 Posts
my little min-pin (13 lb toy dog) somehow squirreled her way on to our kitchen table and ate an ENTIRE hershey's candy bar -- the extra large kind that is nearly 4x the size of a regular one.

she was perfectly fine. didn't even throw up. she was very pleased with herself, lol. :)

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Yumm! :p:

That doesn't sound like too much chocolate. I don't have personal experience with chocolate, it's just me and Daisy so pretty easy to keep things out of her reach ... but I have been known, on occasion, to share my M&M's with her :curtain:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Ahhh that's nothin LOL. My old lab religiously ate 2 lbs of Hersheys Kisses every holiday (Christmas, Valentines Day, Easter, etc.). She knew I would at least once each season forget to put the basket up before I left for work. She was always fine, but did poop pretty colored foil for a week after.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Trapper was 6 months old when he helped himself to 2 dozen fresh baked chocolate cookies. He has also eaten a full box of smarties. His tummy was upset for a couple of days, but nothing serious happened to him. Hopefully Faith will suffer no ill effects.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Patty,

What kind of chocolate were the items made of? It makes a huge difference. Tucker ate the whole box of Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes, the economy pack and was fine. It was the wrappers that stayed in his gut and came up a few days later, empty of course.

Although they were in her system for a few hours, they sometimes give activated charcoal to absorb the toxins.
My Vet made a joke about American Chocolate! The good thing is it helps to keep our dogs a bit safter. Unless of course we are baking with bakers chocolate, etc...The fat content in what she ate may give her running poop and I've been told to watch for pancreatitis.

I hope all goes well. I've been here before a few times myself.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
My late, great Winnie-the-Pooch (golden/collie mix) once ate an entire pound of chocolate fudge purchased at a local craft fair with absolutely no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I had a similar situation to yours a few months ago and did some quick research at the time! Milk chocolate is less toxic than dark chocolate. So presuming the items eaten are of the milk chocolate variety, then a toxic dose would be quite a large amount.

Nothing to worry about I'd say.

Izzie ate a whole packet of chocolate digestive biscuits (cookies) and was fine.

Not that we should actually knowingly feed them chocolate of cours, that would be plain silly:).

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Last year Brady ate more than half a dark chocolate double layer cake. (yes, I had to have the DARK chocolate one). I was a nevous wreck, but after reading the internet poison pages, our dogs have size on their side.

I believe he did get the runs the next day.

I also had a GSD that once ate a full bag of hershey kisses. Again, I was not home during the day, so it was too late to induce vomit. He was fine.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Dogs toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. Unsweetened baking chocolate is .1 oz per pound. My sisters lab got chocolate poisoning from 3 12 oz bags of chocolate chips and had to have his stomach pumped.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Lexi....pan of brownies ....
Other then loose poop ;-) she was fine...

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
an update for all - she appears fine. no ill effects so far, and she's interested in eating so her stomach isn't upset. but i am expecting some runny poops later.

Kimm - i have no idea what types of chocolate they were. Dave brought them home as a care package from his work christmas party. i am almost certain that the cookies were just milk chocolate. i am not sure if the fudge was a dark chocolate or milk chocolate. but, she could only have had two pieces of fudge (all he brought home) and may-be 5 cookies.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
i swear i'm going to kill her if she doesn't stop dumpster diving and counter surfing soon! :mad:
We are going through the samething here. MacKenzie this morning alone ate 1/2 stick of butter (I was able to get the other half out of here mouth), 3 uncooked choc chip cookies right off the cookie tray, and someone's egg sandwich. Brady will at least sneak and do these things, but I was a foot away from MacKenzie!! I pull her off at least 100 times a day!!

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh Marie, i feel your pain! for us it's a recent problem. Faith has gotten a serious case of the naughties since i've been pregnant. we had her for 4 years with zero counter surfing problems and suddenly starting this summer she's been so bad!

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Tucker loves butter and margarine. Talk about loose poop. He also had a few slip and sliders when he ate the vaseline.

I didn't mention this, but I think the economy pack of Hostess Choc. Cupcakes contains 25 cupcakes. Only one was missing.

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
LOL she has nothing on Kali. I don't worry... it takes 2 lbs of dark chocolate to poison a 40 lbs dog.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
oh Marie, i feel your pain! for us it's a recent problem. Faith has gotten a serious case of the naughties since i've been pregnant. we had her for 4 years with zero counter surfing problems and suddenly starting this summer she's been so bad!
I do remember my late dogs Goliath and Zeus suddenly getting into everything when we started having kids. (I think they knew I wasn't as quick as I used to be!)
- Oh, be careful of disposed diapers. They are a yummy treat too. I had to take them to our trash outside as soon as I changed the babies.

Have a Merry Christmas!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Mojo pretended to be "stuck" in the tree when his accomplice, Maxine, nabbed four chocolate chip cookies and TOOK THEM INTO THEIR ROOM. She didn't eat them right away, he followed her and they had a feast.

They plan these things.

They were fine except Mojo had a hangy poop, probably from accidentally eating a strand of my hair. Karma, I tell you!!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Doesn't sound like a lot of actual chocolate. She'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts