Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meet Jacks! He is our newest mini llama (actually he's Oliver's...:bowl:) We brought him home the first weekend in December. He is such a doll, I can't wait to get him in the show-ring! His breeder is in Southern MI & is a Michael Jackson fan (me, not so much...), he was born the day that MJ died & is registered as "I'll be There", she called him MJ-but we changed it to Jacks out of respect for her. She is a nationally ranked Judge & world class breeder/exhibitor. Jacks' sister sold last year for $25,000.00-yeah, we're pretty excited about this guy!

These were taken right before we picked him up. I am in love with his ears & feathering around his face. It will be so interesting to see him after he's shorn this spring, he is a true silver/gray at the skin-I can't wait to see what else he's hiding under all of that fabulous fiber.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Oh, he is indeed beautiful. Love his fluffy ears. Congrats!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
What a stunner! My llamas are not registered and are not tame, but I love them just the same. They were basically rescues. I am really struggling knowing I have to find a home for them when the house sells.

Anyway Jacks is just beautiful. I love his coloring.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
What intriguing looking animals they are! He is very pretty!

What are they like? Would you consider them pets? (as in how tame are they?) What do they eat?? (sorry for all the questions, they must be very interesting to keep!)

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
He's just gorgeous! Remember to post photos when he's shorn.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What intriguing looking animals they are! He is very pretty!

What are they like? Would you consider them pets? (as in how tame are they?) What do they eat?? (sorry for all the questions, they must be very interesting to keep!)
They are wonderful. I've bred, trained, & shown them for 15 years & can't imagine not ever having them.

They have a similar personality to a cat (odd, I'm not really a cat fan) where they get really attached to one person, but are kind of stand offish to others. I take mine to nursing homes & bible schools for visits. they use a communal dung pile naturally, so they don't mess inside the buildings.

They KNOW that they are beautiful & get upset if you mess up their fiber or ignore them; a few of mine have been known to pose when a camera comes out!

All of mine can be handled very easily, haltered in the field & 2 of my boys will "kush" (lay down) when I snap my fingers. they have comparable intelligence to a poodle or border collie & can be clicker trained to do just about anything you can think of.

they are partial ruminants (they have 1, three chambered stomach, rather than 4) and thrive on very little hay/grain; mine are on pasture 8 months out of the year.

of course, just as in any species, there are those that are hateful, nasty, & skittish. they all spit, but it takes alot to get them too. they are natural guard animals; I've watched my old boy kill 3 coyotes that came after my babies & goats.

I'll be posting lots of new pics in May. all 7 will be getting their summer shearing & we have 2 new cria (babies) coming.:p:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He is gorgeous.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Beautiful colouring - will he stay that colour or change as he gets older. He looks quite big, so how big is a Mini llama

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
They are wonderful. I've bred, trained, & shown them for 15 years & can't imagine not ever having them.

They have a similar personality to a cat (odd, I'm not really a cat fan) where they get really attached to one person, but are kind of stand offish to others. I take mine to nursing homes & bible schools for visits. they use a communal dung pile naturally, so they don't mess inside the buildings.

They KNOW that they are beautiful & get upset if you mess up their fiber or ignore them; a few of mine have been known to pose when a camera comes out!

All of mine can be handled very easily, haltered in the field & 2 of my boys will "kush" (lay down) when I snap my fingers. they have comparable intelligence to a poodle or border collie & can be clicker trained to do just about anything you can think of.

they are partial ruminants (they have 1, three chambered stomach, rather than 4) and thrive on very little hay/grain; mine are on pasture 8 months out of the year.

of course, just as in any species, there are those that are hateful, nasty, & skittish. they all spit, but it takes alot to get them too. they are natural guard animals; I've watched my old boy kill 3 coyotes that came after my babies & goats.

I'll be posting lots of new pics in May. all 7 will be getting their summer shearing & we have 2 new cria (babies) coming.:p:
Thanks for all that info, they sound wonderful, I am so impressed that you take them to nursing homes etc, that must be quite something!! It is my dream to own a bit of land and keep chickens, maybe a rescued donkey a couple of pigs and now perphaps a llama could be added to my weird little herd!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beautiful colouring - will he stay that colour or change as he gets older. He looks quite big, so how big is a Mini llama
He will stay the same color as he ages, you'll just be able to see it better after his first shearing this spring.

He's actually very tiny! only 90 pounds & 32 inches at the shoulder. adult minis average around 150-200 pounds & must be under 38 inches for males, 40 inches for females (foundation stock).

standard llamas are around 275-350 pounds and stand 45+ inches at the shoulder.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Jack is lovely and those EARS! Bet they are sooooo soft, and they are beautifully curved:)

My neighbor's llamas routinely open their fence and visit me :)

Attachments

·
Golden Retriever Fanatic!
135 Posts
I didn't even know you registered and showed llamas! Guess you learn something new everyday x)

He's lovely, looks like a dream! Hope all goes well with him and you win many ribbons!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I don't know anything about llamas, but he sure is cute! makes me want one to pet and pester.......

I can't have one, I can't have one......

I can't wait to see baby pictures.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
He is so beautiful....I cant wait to see more pictures!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts