Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't he beautiful?!

It's gone well, but the cat introduction was NOT SO MUCH...

Any tips for successful Golden to kitty relationships?

We are putting him in a crate when we are gone to work and while we sleep. Today is his first crate day. He's done great at night. We're having a little guilt, but he is not ready to be trusted in the house without supervision.

My mother-in-law offered to come by today and take him out to play. I said "No thanks" because I thought that Sam needed to learn our regular routine first. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Oh wow, he really is a handsome guy! I love his color.

I have no advice on the kitty front, seeing as I have no other pets besides my dog, but I hope that eventually resolves itself!

Congratulations. :)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Congrats on your new addition! He's a very handsome redhead!! :) No kitty advice either as neither of mine have had to live with one.

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
Love his coloring ! Welcome home Sam - can't wait to see more and more pics !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sam

He's from Sooner Golden Retriever Rescue in Oklahoma City, OK. www.sgrr.org. He has AKC papers, too, not that it matters that much to me. He will be 3 in January.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Congratulations - He is gorgeous!

I don't think having your MIL come by would be a problem, but I don't think making him adjust to your routine is a bad idea either.

It might take him a while to get used to the cats. My old guy was a shelter rescue and chased the heck out of cats when I got him. It took a couple of months and a lot of correction to change his mind, but I believe Sam will come around faster since he has better manners and more training than cop did when I got him. Copper had been a backyard on chain dog and had no socialization or training when I got him, so it took a lot longer to train him.

Keep Sam on a leash at first while he is around the cat(s) and just give him a firm correction and a strong "no" when he shows too much interest in the cat. Try to stop him before he gets into full blown "chase cat" mode and it will resolve more quickly.

the cats now climb all over copper and he just ignores them. They like to sneak up and cuddle when he is sleeping and he is blase about it.

good luck with your new very handsome gorgeous boy!

·
Sasha, Honey & Toro's Mom
741 Posts
I have three goldens and one cat. The cat loves my dogs but does not like my daughter's dogs at all. The biggest thing we did was try not to let the dogs chase the cat until they are comfortable with each other. (My daughter's dogs have chased him up a tree.)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We added cats to our house of three adult/teen dogs. The cats have their claws, so one swipe on Bennett's nose - well, you know who the boss is.
In each room, there are lots of high places for the cats to go to get away from the dogs. The cat's litterbox and food are kept in one of the bedrooms, protected by a baby gate. The baby gate is kept about 4 inches off the floor, so the cats can scoot in quickly, but it also makes it harder for the dogs to go over as they have no room for a running leap.
The dogs were on leashes when the cats wre around at first.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Good looking puppers.....just make sure your cats have a safe place to get away from Sam. I dog can really hurt a cat or worst.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Sam is a very handsome boy. Congratulations and bless you for rescuing him.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
First of all, congrats on Sam, he is gorgeous!

Secondly, the cats will get used to him, just make sure they have lots of high places to be able to get away from him, and don't let him chase. I've been working on it 2 weeks, and my cats are just starting to be in the same room with Murphy. Patience is a must.

Bless your heart for rescuing this boy!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
He is beautiful!

Definitely make sure the cats have a safe place to get away from the dog. Baby gates are wonderful for that. Babygates also allow for them to see and smell each other safely.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts