Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My name is Justin and I am getting my puppy tomorrow! :banana:
I have been reading everything on this forum religiously because I am very excited and I want to be the best parent I could be for my puppy. I just want to share my joy to everyone here and will be posting here quite often for all the help I need.

Everyone meet Bosco! He was given to me by my cousin who is not able to care for him and his other brothers and sisters.

I feel sad at the moment though because Bosco will be traveling from Indiana and its going to be a long flight. I know he will be so tired when he gets here.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
He's adorable!! You're going to have so much fun with him! Take lots of pictures and enjoy every minute because they grow up FAST!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

I've been nervous and excited at the same time since Monday because I cant wait to see him!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
his flight is around 8 hours!!!!!! :banghead:

I know he will be tired and scared but I will do my best to comfort him and make him feel welcomed. I'm taking him to the vet the next day or so when he rebounds from his flight.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
He is adorable!!!! I cant wait to see more pictures!!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Oh he looks like a sweetheart! I'm so glad you have decided to join the forums, it truly is a "Gold" mine for Golden owners.

I hope his littermates are placed in loving and responsible homes like I predict Bosco's home will be. Coming here to these forums is the first sign of responsibility :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am in Southern California so its going to be quite a trip. This place really is a GOLD mine. I have learned more here from the books that I have read. Me and my lady are already set to be spoiling him for the first week but thats it! (I hope)

Here's a quick layout what I plan to do with him:

Me and my lady work during the day and I will have my brother come by and check on him. The puppy will not be left alone for more than 3 hours. I have taken 2 days off next week (mon & tues) just to help the puppy settle in and feel safe and secured in our place.

When we are gone, he will be in his play pen that I made with lots of toys to keep him occupied.

I have already scheduled classes for us in 2 weeks.

My main concern is the vaccinations. He is around 13weeks right now and he still has a couple of shots left. I am looking for cheaper places to get it done. The vets around my area have expensive prices i.e. everytime I bring him in to get a shot I have to pay 50-60 bux for the exams/consult and additional $20 for the shot he will take. Any help on where to get this done at a cheaper price is much appreciated!

As far as neutering goes, he will get it done eventually but as for when I still dont know. Vets say 6mos, Ive read here to wait till it finishes puberty unless there are behavioral problems or what not.

I look forward to the endless smiles this young pup will bring to us!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Awww, he is a cutie pie and I love his name! What is happening with his siblings???

I am orginally from So Cal. Sounds like you are really trying to do right by him. You shouldn't leave anything destructible in his crate/pen while no one is around to be sure he won't choke. A filled kong might be a good idea- but other's can let you know what would be good for a puppy, since my furry child is now two.

Good luck and congrats! I miss Sienna being that small- it goes by so fast!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
He's VERY lucky to have you :) I like his coat colour. Rummy loves his crate now :) His favorite toys are his rope/frog squeaker, his CKC Duck, his Kong he gets at night (I fill it with Senior peanut butter flavor food because it's lower in Calorie) and he also likes his special for dogs tennis ball. I don't give him any rawhides or pig ears, goldens are massive chewers and they can choke on them. Make sure his crate has a divider and is JUST big enough for him to turn around and lay down. Right now, Rummy's crate we have divided into a long yet very narrow section and he sleeps sideways in it. Because his crate section is small, he has never made a single poo or pee mistake and goes all night long in his crate!! (5-6 hours)

Try calling around rural vet clinics, often rural areas give better pricing. The prices you quoted though would be VERY low for my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice guys! I already picked up on all the choking hazards. All the toys I bought for him are fairly big so nothing poses a threat.

For his crate, I bought a bigger sized one with dividers so that way I can adjust as he grows. I have furnished his crate with cushions and toys and I even hid a tasty treat in there for a surprise for him!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy. He is a real cutie and I love his coloring. It sounds like you have everything ready. He might surprise you by being playful when he gets home since he will be sleeping on the trip. Have fun and if you have any more questions just jump in and post away.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is crazy but I think we have 1 of Bosco's sisters...!! Same age from the same place and if I remember correctly she had a brother named Bosco!!! They look identical!

Anyways, Bosco is a great name and a beautiful puppy. Maybe we could try and figure if they really are related! Would be cool to share photos etc.

Here is one picture from when we first got her.

·
Premium Member
16,423 Posts
Now that is cool if these pups are siblings. They look very similar- both adorable. I wish I could kiss each one on the button nose.

Any help on where to get this done at a cheaper price is much appreciated!
One good trick is to ask for the vet tech/nurse to do it. Shots are much cheaper that way.

·
I <3 Goldens
487 Posts
He is an absolute doll!! I recommend you crate train him since its so early, it'll save you alot of time later on, when he's full grown. Also I know several vets whom allow you to administer the shots yourself. Not sure if you're ok doing that or not. I've grown up with them, and have grown used to administering them myself, so our vet just allows me to stop by and pick them up. But really look into the crate training thing. You may learn that not all pups are good at being left to roam the home. And once he gets big enough keeping in a pen will be sorta hard. just some friendly advice. Good luck with him, he seems to be going to a great home!!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Congratulations on your new furkid! Welcome to the world of goldens & you're doing it in a very responsible manner! Good luck, Dad!

Your Bosco & my Razz are the same age - Razz was born on Nov 22/08 but Razz is at the other end of the golden colour range. Razz weighed in at 26 lbs this morning!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts