Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my wife a 6 week old Golden Retriever puppy for Christmas this year and thought I would join up and get some puppy advice. We started him out on puppy pads for a couple of days and since Tuesday he has been going outside. We have his crate setup next to our bed but we keep the door open to it and during the night he is free to sleep wherever in our room. We usually wake up every 3-4 hours to let him out and he does great but during the day it's a little different. We aren't really sure how long to go before taking him outside so he has been peeing inside.

Should we just take him out more often and will he eventually start to give us a sign of when he wants to go out?

Also, is 7 weeks to early to start training a dog the basic commands? (Sit, Stay, Leave It)

Any advice would be great!

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
from what i learned with my first time having one is we use to take him out every 40 mins durning the day. moose was really good at night and would sleep from 10-6 and we would have to take him out.. not saying he never had accidents.. but slowly it became longer and longer to take him out.. and we would praise him everytime he used the washroom outside and would give him a treat and disapline him if he used the washroom inside.. they catch onto that lol now at 7 months he just sits and stares at the door.. then at us lol

as for teaching him comands.. from what i have read on here and on my own expierence.. the sooner the better! you can never start soon enough!

enjoy the puppy! they grow up soo fast

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Personally I would take the pup out at least every 15 minutes because he is so young

Reactions: Karen519

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
i always figured that every 20 mins was great but people said i was crazy and said 40.. lol ahh i do not miss those days!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Fitch

Fitch

Puppies are supposed to stay with their Mom until they are 8 weeks old, so I googled caring for a 6 week old pup and came up with this.

Google

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I believe the rule is 1 hour for every month the puppy is old but to 8 hrs/8 months but every puppy is different. I would say start with 1.5 hrs and work up from there. When I'm housebreaking my puppies I'm all business- No fun til you go potty. If you eat or drink you go out to potty. Right after a sleep/nap out to potty. Potty before and after play. Potty before car ride and after car ride. Potty pee and post bath. They get a party when they potty even as adults.

I say potty and they pee even now as adults. I can't predict poop in my adults but I know certain ones are most likely to poo in the morning or evening.

Even today most of my day revolves around potty time. Housebreaking, Buddy my rescue, so far no accidents but I'm starting to get frost bite I think from all the time outside in the cold and wind.

Also if you can't watch your pup at all times I would crate them. Or teeter him to you so they can't have an accident without you seeing it. You can't correct a behavior you don't catch them doing.
Good luck with your new addition.

Reactions: Deber

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
First, Mason is a cute cute cute puppy.... but you know that, lol.

I agree with Mika about the when of the potty trips. All combined these should get him out about every hour or so.

As far as commands, with my two, I just started by reinforcing verbally the two things that all dogs do naturally from puppyhood - sit and lay down. Whenever pup sits, say something like "Good sit, Mason" enthusiastically and pet his chest or sides of his neck; same thing with down but pet his side or back. In a given day, he will hear those so many times that the words Sit and Down will start to mean something to him, paving the way for when you will want to use them as commands.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How cute is he?!

I brought mine home at 7 weeks and had a lot of accidents in the beginning until I learned what triggers him to go, what the signs were etc. If I had to do it all over again, I would take him outside every 20 to 30 minutes throughout the day. A lot of those trips wouldn't result in any elimination, but taking him back to the same spot over and over again and praising him when he does go would probably have saved me a lot of time!

They tend to need to go within 15 minutes of eating and drinking, so if you monitor their intake that helps. They also need to go STRAIGHT after playtime (and I mean straight away - a lot of accidents in my house caused playtime to end!)

What helped Harvey in the end as well as me finally getting the hang of it, was that for a couple of weeks he went into his crate whenever he wasn't playing. I gave him his food and drink in there, he slept in there and napped in there, and he never made a mess in his crate, so it made sense to keep him in there when I wasn't playing with him. I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but it did really help him. In the space of 2 weeks he had gone from having pretty much EVERY toilet episode on my white carpets, to not having any at all. He's 20 weeks now, and I think it's been about 8 or 9 weeks since the last accident. I'd put his leash on before he came out of his crate, we'd go straight to his spot in the yard, he's do his business and then he was free to roam for a good hour or so.

Once he was used to that he became used to letting us know when he needed to go. At first he'd run to my shoes because he knew I'd put them on in order to take him outside, but as time went on he'd run straight to the back door and yelp once as a signal.

As for training, I don't think 7 weeks is too early at all! From day one I started training with Harvey and a bag of tiny puppy treats. Within a week he was sitting and giving paw on command, and within a month he was following many more commands. Start as you mean to go on!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Steph agree completely. Our two were mainly crated unless it was play or time to eat. Outside, then back for play, train, play, back in the crate. This was in the first 3 months. As they matured and potty times more reliable more freedom outside their crate. Next to an x-pen when not supervised to eventually doggie doors to the outside. Really had good luck and though the dogs may sleep in our den, the crates are there, door open, for them.

Training can begain immediately. Sit, down, quick stay's are easy to learn. Keep him in your own yard or carry him to areas he can socialize, but not be allowed where other dogs go untill after all shots are finished. They say you should expose your pup to 100 new things and people each week.

I am in Texas too, and Parvo is our BIGGEST killer of puppies. Please, please be over cautious until ALL shots are done. Puppy classes are fine, but try for ones in very clean indoor places with other pups his age. Don't take him to parks, Petsmart etc unless you carry him. Parvo is rampant in our beautiful state and the final shot should be around 14 wks, then he will be totally covered and ready to meet the world walking on his own four feet.

Your babe is beautiful and will grow so much in this first year. Hope you post lots of pictures and ask what you want. We all have been in your shoes and nice to have a place to come to and learn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the advice. I'm also having trouble with him and his crate. I put him in it everytime he is napping but he will never go into it on his own. I've tried using treats and food to get him into it but he absolutely hates it. I even keep the door open everytime I put him in. Any tips?

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice. I'm also having trouble with him and his crate. I put him in it everytime he is napping but he will never go into it on his own. I've tried using treats and food to get him into it but he absolutely hates it. I even keep the door open everytime I put him in. Any tips?
It takes time for puppies to get used to new. I used a playpen for all of mine because I know once they were housebroken I was not going to crate routinely. I do have a large crate I used sporadically for Lucky once he was too big to lift into the play pen. I still use the playpens for the Yorkies when I tale them on vacation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It takes time for puppies to get used to new. I used a playpen for all of mine because I know once they were housebroken I was not going to crate routinely. I do have a large crate I used sporadically for Lucky once he was too big to lift into the play pen. I still use the playpens for the Yorkies when I tale them on vacation.
Ok, maybe I just need to be patient since we have only had him for a few days.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
With the crating, just as with any training, you need to figure out the result you want and stick to that. When I have anew dog in my house, it sleeps in a crate until I trust that it is house trained and won't chew something while I'm asleep. When tucker came home he slept in a crate from day one and he still does. He's in there when no human is home as well (for no more than three hours during the day). He fussed the first couple nights but he's fine with the routine. He goes outside, I fix him a Kong, he heads for the crate. After he's in with his Kong I shut the door and cover the crate with a sheet. He knows that his day has ended. If he fusses and I think he needs to go outside I take him out but then he goes straight back in with no playtime or pause. The first night he cried and I put my older spaniel into her crate next to him and put the sheet over them both. He calmed down quickly. Puppies don't like being alone.

Good luck. He's really cute. You have lots of work and fun ahead of you!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Take out every 30 mins AND just after playing, drinking or waking up from a nap ... along with 20 mins or so after eating.

I'd close the crate door at night. Good for him to learn to be confined in the crate and that way he'll whine and let you know when he needs to "go" in the middle of the night.

Many pups can hold it overnight by around 10 weeks or so, but during the day, when they're awake, the rule is a MAX of 1 hour for every month old.... not counting the issues I mentioned above (eating, drinking, playing, napping).

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Have you tried feeding his regular meals in there ? For treats, I would put things he's got to work on for a while (e.g. a puppy Kong with some of his regular food and a smearing of peanut butter inside). The idea is to have the crate become a place where good things happen. But you are right also, patience and a little time might be all that's needed after the big upheaval of getting to his new home.

Reactions: Deber

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We also feed him his meals in his crate, peanut butter Kongs, all to make his crate a Good thing. We even played crate games where I tossed in a toy and he would go inside to retrieve it. When time came for night sleep he was picked up and put in crate, door closed and sheet over the top. Lights out. We were careful to not tell him anything cause as soon as we spoke he would whine. Just no-nonsence put in crate. Only took about 3 days for the routine to set in. Now crate is still there but door are not closed. Both our goldens either sleep on the floor or in their crates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Mason has been sleeping in crate at night the past few nights and it seems to get better each night. He still isn't particularly fond of his crate so we have to lure him in with a treat.

I'm planning to run to Petsmart today and pick him up a couple of Kongs to keep him busy so hopefully he will enjoy them. He hasn't had to stay in his crate during the day since my wife has been home but she will return to work today.

He is still having accidents inside though. We will take him out and he will potty some then explore but shortly after he comes inside he will go again. :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts