Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone our house is finally sold we have to be ou by the end of march. We are planing on moving to mildura which is about 10 hours drive will be longer then that since we have animals. When we move to nildura i plan on doing obedience with Shelley. I was planing on doing agility but they don't do it up there. They only have these to do there
Tracking
obedience
Endurance
I'm not sure how Shelley would go doing tracking she loves to search for food but thats about it. Endurance is where i ride a push bike Shelley runs beside me. The Endurance igoes for 20 kilometers and is split into three sections,the first being 8 kilometers.The second and third being 6 kilometers. There is a break of 15 minutes between the first and second sections and 20 minutes between the second and third sections.Its watched over by a judge and with every break the dog gets checked over by a vet. Before you can do Endurance you have to have writen consent from your vet stating that your dog is healthy to do so. The speed you have to ride is 10 kilometers per hour. The whole test takes two hours and 35 minutes including the intervening breaks.
Here's the link to a site about Endurance if you want to read more
http://www.vca.org.au/Content.asp?ID=254

Shelley hasn't been trained to run beside a bike. I'm not sure if she will be able too, As she loves other dogs i would think she would pull and try to get to the other dogs then listen to me or focuss on were the bike is or going. Even on our walks she trys to controll were we going which i ignore and just keep walking but she still hasn't given up trying. She is finally getting the ignore command down but still trys to great the other dog. I don't think she would be good with any sports that requires retrieving things as she isn't much for fetching. Maybe things will change with just me and her going to obedience she may learn to focuss more on me then other dogs. She has more focuss towards dogs then humans.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I dont think that you should start Shelley on the bike riding. They shouldnt be running long distances on hard surfaces until they are at least 18 months. It is hard on their growing joints. Even though she may be full size her bones are still changing. But the obedience and tracking she might enjoy and be good for her to help wear her out

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on doing obedience first with her god knows how long obedience will take. I want to make sure i have Shelley's complete focuss on me before we do anything. At the moment she focuss's more on dogs which would be a big no no in Endurance cause she would make me fall off the bike to get to the other dogs. I also have to train Shelley first to walk beside a bike then gradually work up to runing. So i probably wouldn't start Endurance till she is at least 18 months old even older depending how well she goes beside a bike. at the moment when she sees a person on a bike she looks at them with great interest.

I forgot to mention theres also delta training in mildura its like training for dogs that go to hospitals,old peoples home things like that. So thats something Shelley may be good at too. First things first is i'll be starting with obedience first, Then working from there. I have plans for Shelley but i'm not sure which route to go with yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts