Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 349 Posts

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am coming here, not to cry my eyes out as I have done this all day, but to seek advice from those of you who have walked this route before, as have my wife Susan and I when we lost Sofie and Lilliegrace.
We rescued Grace at 2 years of age from a terrible breeder 2 years ago. She was in shocking state and we gradualy over the years healed her, both physicaly and emotionaly. Grace is a therapy dog and one of the most loving and caring pet we have ever had.

Today we were told by our vet, after blood work and a chest ultrasound that Gracie has lymphoma with a very large mass in her chest, just over her heart.. She is very hypercalcemic. We were told by the oncologist that with agressive radiation and chemo, Gracie's maximal survival time is 6 to 9 months. We watched Sofie die a terrible, painful death after futile threapy for brain cancer and we dont want to see this in our Gracie. She had no quality of life prior to our rescuing her, and we dont want to see this at this time of her life.

The oncologist told us, that Gracie will eventualy die in kidney failure because of the high calcium and will start to obstuct her airway and her esophagus, no matter what treatment she gets.

Susan and I and our friends have discussed this, and after a real deep look into our hearts, have decided to subject Grace to no surgery, chemo or radiation. We will make the next few months the best ever, and when Gracie starts to refuse her food and feel any pain, we will have our Vet of many years start the trip to Rainbow Bridge for our beloved and precious pet and my best friend.

I am sharing this with all of you and it helps me deal with this devastating decision we have made in Gracie's interests and not ours.

Please pray for Gracie.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I am so sorry that Gracie is ill. Prayers for Gracie and her family that the time you guys have will be filled with love and lots of good times.

Choosing to own a golden gives us such wonderful pleasure and joy but is also filled with such a heavy responsibility to give them the best we can. Sometimes the best we can do is to let them go with all our love but with them still having their dignity and the least amount of suffering as possible.

I believe Gracie will know you are making the best choice for her.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your wife and Gracie.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'm so so sorry. Bless you for the life you've given her and the love you've shared. Try as best you can to live in the each and every moment like she does and treasure this time as quality time. And know that whenever you need an ear to listen or shoulders to lean or cry on we will be there. Please give her an ear rub from our crew and know that you all are in my prayers.

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that Gracie is sick. I know how agonizing this can be. I too chose not to do surgery on Molly due to the fact the cancer had already metastasized to her heart. I have only second guessed that decision a couple of times, but always come back to the fact it wasn't a cure. It was in her heart too and there was nothing they could do about that.

I have to say, the first few weeks were very tough. I kept looking for signs it was time. As time has passed, I have become more comfortable with letting Molly be Molly. I let her play with the puppy when she feels like it, rest when she feels like it, and I spoil her every minute of every day. She gets extra goodies with her meals, treats from everyone, brushed out a lot because she loves it, and we are always on the floor playing with her or just lying next to her and patting her. She is so happy and I have to believe we made the right decision.

I really believe she is really enjoying her life right now and I think that is what you are looking for with your Gracie. I commend you on your decision. It is so hard to do what is best for our furry friends and not what is best for us. Love her, spoil her, take her to do all her favorite things, and take lots of pictures of her enjoying her life.

Thank you for putting Gracie first! I will pray for many happy days for all of you. I am here if you need someone to talk to.

P.S.
Just lit a candle for Gracie and your family. Praying hard!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Please accept my deepest sorrow for Gracie's diagnosis. I have been there with Sagebrush, and I know exactly how difficult your decision has been. You are right on target knowing that nature will take its course whether you treat her or not.

Gracie will enjoy the good times that are still ahead for her. Unlike us, dogs cannot anticipate the future, but she will tell you when the good times are giving way to not such good times.

I entered into a discussion with a physician friend of mine about his Bernese Mountain puppy. We noted how short-lived this breed is, and his response was, "Yes, but that's their life". Even though they pass on at an age way too young for us, they enjoy their good days without any thought to their future or to their end of days.

Gracie loves you and trusts you - by her standards life is as good as it gets.

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all of you who have replied. As a healthcare provider, I put quality of life above everything. Relieving pain with drugs that produce untreatable side effects is not rendering proper care. Treating cancer with excessive surgeries and drugs that do not prolong life and reduce quality of life is not acceptable.

I have just spoken with my vet and informed her of our joint decision and she agreed with me. We prolonged our Sofie's life by a few months but watched helplessly as she suffered, and showed us in many ways that she was ready to go. We ignored these pleadings and kept her alive for our selfish sakes and not hers. This will not happen with Gracie, now standing next to me with her head on my knee as she always does when I am at the computer, here and at the office.

God Bless our Goldens.

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about the sad diagnosis of your Gracie. I have no doubt you are making the best decision for her - you'd do nothing less. You know her and love her best.

My thoughts are with you. I hope she has many more happy months ahead with you.

·
she'll always be the one
2,452 Posts
This breaks my heart. I am so terribly sorry. Love her, enjoy her, and help her to live in that perpetual state of joy that loved dogs live in - I hope it is for a very long time.

Reactions: Lilliegrace

·
Registered
196 Posts
Lilligrace:
I am so sorry to learn about Grace. I have gone through this whole situation. I am also a medical professional and chose not to pursue chemo for my beloved Buddy who was diagnosed with lymphoma. Cherish the time that you have with Grace. Do great things with her, don't hold back. Don't work too much, if you can. The time goes by quickly, and when it is over, you want another day. Make those days now, and make them amazing, for you and for her. You are in my thoughts and prayers. All the best, Patrice

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. I am glad to hear that you can keep her comfortable for her last days here with you. Treasure every day that you have with her and spoil her rotten!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
I am sorry, your sweet girl is in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am so very sorry. We put their needs ahead of ours because we love them so much.

Our Selka had bone cancer and we did palliative care till we knew he was in pain. I held him as he crossed over. I miss him so and look forward to seeing him again.

God bless your dear girl.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Sorry to hear the news you received about Gracie. Enjoy every minute of every day with her!! Spoil and love her!! My thoughts and prayers will be with Gracie, you and your wife.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I am so sorry. This is so unfair to these wonderful, innocent doggies. Can you get her to a veterinary teaching/university hospital? They tend to have the best possible treatment in these cases.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I am so sorry to hear Gracie has lymphoma. We are currently facing this with Kosmo and also decided not to pursue aggressive treatment. Treat every day as a special gift with your precious girl.

·
flykelley
675 Posts
Thanks to all of you who have replied. As a healthcare provider, I put quality of life above everything. Relieving pain with drugs that produce untreatable side effects is not rendering proper care. Treating cancer with excessive surgeries and drugs that do not prolong life and reduce quality of life is not acceptable.

I have just spoken with my vet and informed her of our joint decision and she agreed with me. We prolonged our Sofie's life by a few months but watched helplessly as she suffered, and showed us in many ways that she was ready to go. We ignored these pleadings and kept her alive for our selfish sakes and not hers. This will not happen with Gracie, now standing next to me with her head on my knee as she always does when I am at the computer, here and at the office.

God Bless our Goldens.
Its one of the toughest things to do as a Golden owner, having just been through this with my Katie I know how you feel. We made the same choice though not an easy one it was the best choice for Katie. I didn't want her to suffer anymore or go through the pain of surgery, been there once and won't do that again. Prayers for you and your family and of course your sweet Sofie.

Mike

1 - 20 of 349 Posts