Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 11 month old golden retriever is no longer getting into my husband's car. It is a Dodge Durango, so it has a high clearance. However, he was getting in and out of it just fine all summer and this fall. He recently stopped. We have a trainer, and she came over and showed us some great ways to re-train him. It's a very slow-going process. Coincidentally, we would love for him to jump up on our son's bed. I know that sounds crazy, wanting your dog to jump up on furniture! Anyway, I would love to know any tricks or suggestions you all have. Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Rambo is 15 months and is finally jumping onto the bed, and with perfect ease, I might say. When he is excited and playing he would jump onto the couch and bed, but that was rare. His thing was to put his front legs up and wait to be treated like a prince. We would have to give him a boost. I'm pretty sure our amusement kept this practice going. He would just stare at us as if to say '"hurry now, I want up". Our laughter didn't help!
He still won't jump into the car. He will put his front legs up and wait. He has never enjoyed a car ride, even though he enjoys the destinations. He still salivates a lot. But it sounds like that isn't a problem for your pup.
So , I get what you are saying about wanting him to jump on the furniture. It was a big celebration for us when he stopped playing us like fools!
I hope it isn't anything physical that is keeping your boy from jumping. Maybe he is just enjoying the star treatment like Rambo did. When we see how easily he jumps up now, it makes us laugh.

·
Registered
833 Posts
He still won't jump into the car. He will put his front legs up and wait. He has never enjoyed a car ride, even though he enjoys the destinations. He still salivates a lot.
Ahhh my guess is he feels queasy in the car... not uncommon for dogs to experience car sickness - the salivation is usually a give away. Perhaps if you can help his tummy out, he will be more inclined to hop up in. I'm sure he is enjoying the princely treatment, but if you can solve the way he feels in the car, the hurdle of him getting in may go away with it!

Reactions: Rambo's mom
1 - 5 of 5 Posts