Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our neighbor fell and broke her hip, and my sons and I have been going to visit her. Neighbor's husband said, "I've seen dogs at the rehab hospital!" (He was DEFINITELY hinting - they LOVE Joy!) I called the hospital and they said, "Bring her!"

There I was with a 10 month old Golden, a 3 year old boy and a 7 year old boy - and they ALL did GREAT!

I was so proud of Joy. Of course, she pulled a bit in the halls, but as soon as she got near a person, she sat to be petted. She was extremely gentle with a man in a semi-reclined wheelchair, and she sat very tall so that he could reach her head easily. In my neighbor's room, I lifted her front paws onto the bed so my neighbor could pet her without sitting up (she is not doing well....) and Joy didn't struggle at all. Later, she put her paws up on her own and was soooooo calm. It reminded me of the way Joy crawls into panhandlers' laps when we're walking in the city - it's like she knows who needs extra love!

Nothing frightened her - wheelchairs, walkers, canes, ambulances. It was very noisy and bustly when we were there. I am glad we took all those trips to public places when she was a tiny puppy - I think they paid off!!!!

Anyway, I am so excited and proud of her. This really gives me hope that in a few years we'll be a therapy dog team!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Wow, that is great that Joy did so well and at only 10 months I'm sure you have a future therapy dog on your hands. I'm sure Joy brought lots of smiles. Keep up the good work.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
FANTASTIC. Sounds as if you'll have a natural there. Good girl!!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Way to go Joy!!!!! She sounds like she would be a natural therapy dog. Get that girl certified.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts