Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our first Golden....or how I got my name.
When my wife and I were first married we wanted a Golden.I had been exposed to Goldens at my cousins house and I wanted one.We went to the Huntington,L.I.,NY shelter to look at and get a dog.They had 2 Goldens,1 big fella that had a waiting list and in a different wing a smaller Golden boy who had been there 2 weeks and was scheduled to leave this earth soon.As we walked down the kennel looking at dogs the racket was unbelievable,however,when we got in front of the Golden,all the noise stopped.1 step either direction started the noise back up.This made us pause and take a closer look at this Golden that nobody wanted.
I lifted the top of the run and we rubbed and petted him.Still holding the top up,I turned and compared him to a dog a couple of runs away.When I turned back,he was standing,no,perched on the 2 inch bar at the top of the run.He looked me square in the eyes,made his decision and leaped onto me.He hugged my neck with his left paw and put his head on my left shoulder.He wrapped himself around me and wouldn't let go.We walked to the front desk like that and I signed the papers with him still attached.He didn't let go until I opened the car door,then he jumped into the back seat.He was quiet and calm all the way home and became a loved member of the family for 13 years.
His name? Shane of course.After he passed,our friends started calling me Shane and it stuck.It's been many years since he's gone,but I haven't forgotten what he taught me and I'm honored to carry his name.
Shane

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
O.K. I'm the baby because I did cry. I'll say it again....you and your wife are heros for these dogs. Thank goodness there's people like you and everyone on this site that love their pets (fur children).

Reactions: Jud

·
Registered
730 Posts
Our first Golden....or how I got my name.
When my wife and I were first married we wanted a Golden.I had been exposed to Goldens at my cousins house and I wanted one.We went to the Huntington,L.I.,NY shelter to look at and get a dog.They had 2 Goldens,1 big fella that had a waiting list and in a different wing a smaller Golden boy who had been there 2 weeks and was scheduled to leave this earth soon.As we walked down the kennel looking at dogs the racket was unbelievable,however,when we got in front of the Golden,all the noise stopped.1 step either direction started the noise back up.This made us pause and take a closer look at this Golden that nobody wanted.
I lifted the top of the run and we rubbed and petted him.Still holding the top up,I turned and compared him to a dog a couple of runs away.When I turned back,he was standing,no,perched on the 2 inch bar at the top of the run.He looked me square in the eyes,made his decision and leaped onto me.He hugged my neck with his left paw and put his head on my left shoulder.He wrapped himself around me and wouldn't let go.We walked to the front desk like that and I signed the papers with him still attached.He didn't let go until I opened the car door,then he jumped into the back seat.He was quiet and calm all the way home and became a loved member of the family for 13 years.
His name? Shane of course.After he passed,our friends started calling me Shane and it stuck.It's been many years since he's gone,but I haven't forgotten what he taught me and I'm honored to carry his name.
Shane
Great, great story. My Brother's Lab that he rescued was called 'Zane' so he changed it to 'Shane'. What a great dog and name.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.