Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flip and I went to our first obedience class at Dogwood in Houston last night. I left home at 3:45 in the afternoon, and got back at 11:30 at night, all for a 50 minute class. But it was so worth it.

I was a little nervous about us being behind everyone else because this is the fourth level class; we were allowed to skip the first three classes. There were some areas we were behind the other dogs in (like stays), but other areas we were way ahead in so I think it pretty much evened out. There was one other guy there with a puppy that had skipped the other classes, but he's been taking classes with other dogs there for years (and has put an OTCH on a dog), so he's been through all the classes multiple times.

I am exhausted today, but I can't wait for class next week!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
That does make for a long day but I'm glad to hear you both enjoyed it. I try to encourage everyone to take obed classes.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I drove 3.5 hours

once a month for privates. I did 2 hours at a time and booked 6 months in advance. It was worth it. If you have found the right resource, having an otch trainer in class is a very good sign, it is worth the drive. At one point I did consider doing it every week to take a group class but I couldn't rationalize the drive. I admire what you are trying to achive. It sounds like you are doing the right things. Good Luck

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
once a month for privates. I did 2 hours at a time and booked 6 months in advance. It was worth it. If you have found the right resource, having an otch trainer in class is a very good sign, it is worth the drive. At one point I did consider doing it every week to take a group class but I couldn't rationalize the drive. I admire what you are trying to achive. It sounds like you are doing the right things. Good Luck
I've been taking private lessons from Debby Quigley at Dogwood for years. But trying to get our schedules to work out together meant we were only able to get together a few times a year. I probably won't be able to do it long term, but the beginning competition series of classes (3 different classes in all) that I'm taking is 18 weeks, and if I can make it through will hopefully get Flip a good strong foundation. After that comes the pre-novice class, but it doesn't even start until 8:40 at night, so I wouldn't get home until some time between 12:30 and 1:00. I just can't do that when I have to be at work the next morning at 7:15.

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
I have heard wonderful things about Debbie and her training. Stick with the obedience classes for as long as you possibly can. It will make you a better handler and your dog with reap the benefits. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts