Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all,

We are very lucky that our sweet girl will be 17 in June. She has been having some issues w her back leg strength, but nothing that is truly life threatening.

On the eve of Easter night, [9pm], she had her first seizure, that we are aware. It lasted for about 1.5 - 1.75 min's, entailed her laying on he side while moving both legs vigorously, a lot of foaming at the mouth and an involuntary BM. When the main seizure was over, she was of course disoriented, eyes were dilated, and had some erratic slow movements of her head and abdomen. Per post seizure instructions, we administered some vanilla ice cream, small nutritious snacks and some water. She was able to finally rest w her head in a more upward and straight position, but she never moved from the tile kitchen floor area where this occurred...Our youngest daughter [18] made a bed next to her and spent the night w her. It really upset us. But, our #3 Golden before her, Annie, had multiple seizures so we knew what this was...Annie was almost 12 when her seizures started and it did not end well.

W internet search engines, there's tons of info we've read. We have 2 sego palms, but she did not eat anything from them. She has a high quality food source and high quality organic snacks and daily Dasuquin. There was nothing else new introduced to her to eat, other than some lg dog Vit E pills w pill pockets. We have given her these for 6-7 yrs for her skin and coat, but we could not source any for the last 3-4 weeks, then started her back on them later last week. Could this reintroduction have caused an issue? we are keeping a journal

We called the vet and they stated that if this is her only one, that there's nothing they can do...they stated there needs to be more events to possibly recommend an Rx.

Question: has anyone experienced this w their golden in the latter yrs of their life? if so, were there any steps you took to help your dog that resulted in no more seizures? I am sure there a many diff variables between our dogs, but we are looking to determine if there are any general steps we can take or precautionary measures to help her. We were all very upset, but my youngest has never known any other dog...they are both really attached, as we all are. It's amazing the bonds we develop with these wonderful, affable and intelligent animals.

Thank you and a belated Happy Easter to you all,
tstex

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear about her episode, I really hope it was a one off. I can’t offer any advice but I wanted to say almost 17 years old is amazing!! What a special girl.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I don't have any advice about seizures but just wanted to say I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. It's amazing that you have had her for 17 years. Most of us here understand what a cherished part of the family they become. I hope this was just a one time thing.

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,850 Posts
You've been blessed to have 17 wonderful years with your girl.
I'm sorry about her seizure, I don't have any experience with them.

This thread may be of some help for you-

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've been blessed to have 17 wonderful years with your girl.
I'm sorry about her seizure, I don't have any experience with them.

This thread may be of some help for you-

thank you

·
Registered
20 Posts
about 6 years ago I was awaken by my dog having his first seizure . i Immediately started counting one Mississippi . The seizure lasted just over two minutes . shortly after although still disoriented he vomited . I used a beach towel to guide him outside so he could pee .
He was still very disoriented so I continued using the beach towel under his rear to help guide him up the backyard steps . He settled shortly after . No meds were prescribed .
Five months later he was started on phenobarbital . He awoke again at 2 a.m. having a seizure that lasted over four minutes . I had the husband get the car ready to take him to the emergency vet . Again he vomited after the seizure stopped and needed to urinate .
Two hours later I awoke to the second seizure at 4 a.m. I counted Mississippi’s cause there was no time to find a watch. The second seizure lasted very close to five minutes .
My pooch has been on Phenobarbital for almost six years .
We had to make adjustments to the phenobarbital cause his full dose causes him to fall.
Although he has not seized since June of 2015 , I have recently acquired a dose of Valium .
My fear is the next seizure will be brutal . I have in my dresser drawer a syringe of Valium wrapped in vet wrap to protect the valium vs light .
Please consider what approach you will have for the next seizure . It is possible he may not but what will you do if he does seize again.
A majority of seizures do occur at night .
my dog suffered two seizures that lasted over four minutes each . Please just ask what the plan is when the next seizure arrives .

I am sorry that you are experiencing this .
The first seizure was only two minutes . The second seizure was over four minutes and I was praying for it to stop. I have a pet sitter stay when I travel so they are well aware of how to help him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I forgot to mention I will insert the syringe in his rectum . I have ky jelly packet next to the syringe . There are no needles involved .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts