Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Then, last Monday he got fixed. 2 days later, he started peeing in the house all the time and would squat every 2 minutes and a couple drips would come out. We took him in again and it turned out he had a bladder infection and they gave us more antibiotics.

The peeing didnt get any better but we really got worried when earlier this week he started vomiting and had diarrhea again and I finally took him in when there was A LOT of blood coming out when he was squatting and trying to poop. It scared my pretty bad. He also lost 5 lbs in 1 week.

Well, they kept him 2 days and put him on an IV and said this could have been caused by stress and just dehydration. They didnt really explain much, but they prescribed him more antibiotics and told us to feed him rice. They also mentioned something about a growth of bacteria they found somewhere.

We got him back last night and he is acting more normal but wont eat much and is still squatting to pee or going to the door every 2 minutes like he has to.

We spent $815 in the last two weeks and I am 37 weeks pregnant which is a little stressful. We love our dog to death but the VET sounded like this is something that wont go away. He has no reason to be stressed because he is ALWAYS with me and we treat him so well. But when the baby comes Im worried this might get a lot worse.

Has anybody had these problems? Will it go away or did we just get a really fragile, delicate dog who will be like this forever?

·
Banned
125 Posts
This may not seem like the help you're looking for, but I say it's time for a 2nd opinion. Where do you live? Perhaps there's someone here who could recommend a vet.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Without more information it's so hard to say. What is the bacteria mentioned? What antibiotic did he go on? Have you called the breeder and talked to them about it?

Puppies with sensitive tummies are not that unusual. I have one too. But you should be working towards some kind of diagnosis.

What food is he on and has he been eating okay? If you post more details about the symptoms, tests and treatment, someone here will probably have been through the same thing.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't know, but something sounds fishy here on the part of your vet, if your exchange with that person was as how you presented it. The whole thing sounds just too vague. You mentioned that they found bacteria. Did they volunteer what type and how your pooch might have gotten it? How long is the dog supposed to live on rice? Were any other tests given? Were possible allergies mentioned?

I suggest you give the vet a call first thing in the morning and ask questions. Write everything down. If something is said that you don't understand, then ask that it be repeated in plain English. You've spent a good deal of money on your dog and deserve a decent answer.

I don't know whether an animal would exhibit such behavior from natural nervousness but you shouldn't be asked to chalk it up to that. Could this be colitis caused by a food allergy, for example?

Ask all you want and don't let them bamboozle you with fancy language. Be sure to let us know the response.

·
Registered
10,477 Posts
I agree-time for a second opinion. Young dogs with fairly consistent diarrhea or soft stools have coccidia frequently enough that I often recommend treating for it even if you can't get a positive stool sample. Severe worms can cause bloody stools as well.

And I may be way off base here (and sure hope I am!), but there is always the possibility that something was nicked during surgery that shouldn't have, or that the surgery wasn't as "clean" as it should have been.

You need a better vet, one who will take some time with you and explain what is going on.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
If you tell us where you are from we can try to recommend vets. Members on the forum live all over, and you might be lucky enough to have one with you. But please be diligent about getting it taken care of, which it sounds like you are. Tummy problems are terrible for both owner and dog. We've been dealing with ours since the day we picked him up. You'll find lots of advice and support here, but nothing beats a good vet with a diagnosis or plan of action.

I agree about the possibility of worms too.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I don't know, but something sounds fishy here on the part of your vet, if your exchange with that person was as how you presented it. The whole thing sounds just too vague. You mentioned that they found bacteria. Did they volunteer what type and how your pooch might have gotten it? How long is the dog supposed to live on rice? Were any other tests given? Were possible allergies mentioned?

I suggest you give the vet a call first thing in the morning and ask questions. Write everything down. If something is said that you don't understand, then ask that it be repeated in plain English. You've spent a good deal of money on your dog and deserve a decent answer.

I don't know whether an animal would exhibit such behavior from natural nervousness but you shouldn't be asked to chalk it up to that. Could this be colitis caused by a food allergy, for example?

Ask all you want and don't let them bamboozle you with fancy language. Be sure to let us know the response.
sounds good. don't be shy about going to another vet!!

i don't think "natural nervousness" would cause this stuff. Our guy was neutured at 7 months & had problems due to his mental sensativities -- but nothing physical like this

·
& Romeo's mom
731 Posts
Definitely get a second opinion. The vet's explanation doesn't sound thorough enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first time this happened he did have a type of worms. That was a couple months ago.
Im sorry to be vague. They have been pretty vague with me and the difficult part is that they are all nice and love Edgar and he loves going in there so Im a little bummed that I need to see a new person.

Anyways, here are the antibiotics he has been on or is on now.
Endosorb- they said to take this every time the diarrhea acts up.
Rimadyl- for pain and inflamation after his surgery (but he isnt acting like he is in any pain and there is no swelling)
Clavamox- for the urine infection
and they just gave us Flagyl and sucralfate yesterday when we picked him up but didnt really say what it was for.

about the growth of bacteria... i have no idea. I was so confused. I didnt know if they meant they found it when they went in to fix him or they found it when they did the stool sample or what. and i didnt ask questions because I guess I jsut trust people too much sometimes.
One thing was they didnt seem concerned about the blood but when I took him outside on Wednesday morning the blood was pouring out in streams and there was blood all around his fur. It was so scary to me.

He seems to be a little more normal though, we just fed him rice and chicken and he seems to be doing well so far. Im not sure how long we are supposed to feed him this.

What Im confused about is... well, is this going to last forever? or is this something he will grow out of? He has always been very sensitive and gets stressed easy but this is crazy.
We put him in puppy classes and he ahs graduated from 2 now but every time we would go he would get sick after from the stress and has always been so submisive and almost fearful of other dogs. We've had him since he was 6 weeks old and nothing tramatic has ever happened. We treat him great and include him in everything.

But with a baby coming any day now... I'm concerned that the change will stress him out and cause even more problems. Have any of you had a young golden retriever and then brought a baby home?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and Im in Anchorage, Alaska.
I have been going to Anchorage Vetinary Clinic and he has seen a few people in there but mainly Dr. Payne.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm very sorry you are going through this.... As you describe it - blood pouring out in streams would scare the you know what out of me as well. I agree I would seek another opinion just to be safe... maybe it is normal, just doesn't sound normal to me....

On the sensitive stomach issue - my brother has 2 St. Benards that have VERY sensitive stomachs. After many trips to the vet and tests it was determined they had some pretty bad food alergies. He now feeds them a special, yet very expensive food with some supplements and the issues have gone away. Perhaps it is a food alergy thing?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I think as well you need to get a second opinion, if these problems continue. With as timid and shy as Edgar is, I am wondering about how he was raised by the breeder the first weeks of his life. Since his stress levels seem to be so high. Were you recommended by someone for his breeder? Maybe they could help you with this as well, to find out if either parent has any such problems.
I feel so badly for him, and for you as well. With all the money you have paid out to the Vet, they certainly should be giving you any answers you need to know. You are right, sometimes it is easy to think that they are the Vets, and should know how to fix what ever it is, that is wrong, but I have found with my guys...you really must ask MANY questions. I so hope he will be feeling better soon, and you can get to the bottom of what exactly is going on with your sweet puppy.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Flagyl is used in people to treat bacterial vaginal infections. May be using it for the urine.
Do you know if it was bloody urine, or was the blood in the poop? Has the dog been able to poop? Did the vet say to use rice & chicken, or rice & boiled hamburger? Rice alone isn't very nutritional.
Be careful with the Remadyl, lots of dogs have problems with it.

Keep us posted, but if they are not better I would definitely get a second opinion. If they messed something up, they won't want to admit it. Hopefully all is better soon.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Is Pudden near Anchorage? I'm guessing not, but my knowledge of Alaska geography is lacking.

·
Registered
10,477 Posts
Flagyl is used for giardia and irritable bowel issues. The sucralfate is used to heal gastric type ulcers and is to be given on an empty stomach. Endosorb is an anti-diarrhea medication.

Boiled chicken and rice, or boiled hamburger and rice, is a good way to try to settle a dog with an upset gastro-intestinal tract. In mild cases of upset, I usually gave it for 24 hours. In more severe cases, it would take longer but generally not more than a few days.

If you are not comfortable going to another vet, then at least call your current vet, tell him that you were so upset when you picked up Efgar and need to ask him some questions. Write your questions down ahead of time, so you don't forget them.

If the vet is offended or doesn't give you good answers, hang up and find another vet.

If you are at all uncomfortable about the situation after talking to him, get a second opinion.

The thing with our pets is that they can't tell us what is wrong or where it hurts. We have to be their advocate, just like we do with our kids when they are little.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There was no blood in his urine, just stool.

He hasnt seemed to have to pee a lot like before. It seems that maybe that infection has passed.

We have been feeding him rice and chicken. But the weird thing is, he hasn't pooped at all since he's been home (Thursday evening) except he had diarrhea once in the beginning. He is a little more normal. Very very hyper.

But once thing Im concerned about.... he is different. He used to be really mellow and calm and now he has been trying to get into everything. Also, lately he hasnt been listening to commands at all. He looks at us as if he's deaf or just being stubborn (and he was never like that when he was younger). Hes been through two classes and acts like he doesnt know anything.
Im getting concerned the closer it gets to our baby coming that he is going to either get stressed and have another one of these episodes or hurt one of us (me or baby) because of his jumping.

I was recently told that golden retriever puppies are the most difficult and/or really hard to train. Is that true? I had never heard that before.

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
This may not seem like the help you're looking for, but I say it's time for a 2nd opinion. Where do you live? Perhaps there's someone here who could recommend a vet.
I completely agree with this. Based on the sequence of events, I wonder if something went wrong during the neuter( but that would be very unusual). It would be well worth it to get a second opinion.

How much exercise is your "Teenager" getting. Goldens need an hour of good running each day to be at peace in my opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts