Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our female Golden, Abby, started vomiting two days ago and stopped eating and drinking. After 24 hours I knew something was wrong. We took her to the local animal hospital where an X-ray showed a suspected fabric obstruction. I feared it may be a sock because we have pulled them out of her mouth before. She had emergency surgery last night to remove it. Now 24 hours post op she still won't eat or drink and remains hospitalized. We are so sad and worried about her. Anyone else encountered anything like this? We are so careful about nothing being left around for her but with two teen aged kids it is sometimes difficult! We adore her and wish this never happened.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry you found us under these circumstances. I wish I had advice for you but other than you need to be in regular contact with you vet on this issue I can't offer much. Young pup are very delicate so don't hesitate to contact your vet.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I am sorry you are going through this. Bennett ate a washcloth the first time and a sock the second. <sigh> We Bennett-proofed the house, but a guest lost a sock...

Bennett was in 4-5 days each time. They didn't even try to feed him for 48 hours. And the pain meds decrease the intestinal movement and decrease appetite. It takes 7-10 days for the stomach and intestines to heal. Bennett hated the ID food, so we had to use the boil hamburger (or chicken) and rice recipe, which he loved.

So hang in there.
The surgeon warned me that once an eater, always an eater. He had one too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sorry you are going through this. Bennett ate a washcloth the first time and a sock the second. <sigh> We Bennett-proofed the house, but a guest lost a sock...

Bennett was in 4-5 days each time. They didn't even try to feed him for 48 hours. And the pain meds decrease the intestinal movement and decrease appetite. It takes 7-10 days for the stomach and intestines to heal. Bennett hated the ID food, so we had to use the boil hamburger (or chicken) and rice recipe, which he loved.

So hang in there.
The surgeon warned me that once an eater, always an eater. He had one too.
Thank you. I can't imagine going through it twice...omg! We are already at $4100. We just want her home, safe, happy, and healthy. We miss her terribly. She is the sweetest girl! I have heard others say that this is common with Goldens. We have two dogs, the other is a golden/labradoodle. They are best friends. They get walked 3 miles every day and have loads of love and attention so it isn't that she did this because of boredom. We pray that she recovers completely. She was so sad today when we went to see her. I brought the hamburg, chicken, and rice but she would not eat. We are hoping to see improvement tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I am so sorry you are going through this with Abby. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers! Hopefully she will eat tomorrow and she will get to come home real soon!!:crossfing Also...welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of good people here and plenty of support!!!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Please hang in there! While Abby is hospitalized she will receive IV nourishment and fluid. She has just had major surgery and just like a person she will need a few days to get her strength back. While she is inactive she won't be hungry.

Brewer had an ulcer which was discovered under exploratory surgery and he really didn't want to eat for a few days. Once he healed up he became quite the chow hog and lived a nice long life.

We also had a GR named Buckskin who ate panty hose, sunglasses, our mail, and heaven-knows-what-else. Miraculously, he never suffered an obstruction and managed to pass all sorts of weird stuff including the sheet rock from the wall that he ate.

Nugget, our current GR needs to be watched like a hawk too.

I am confident that your vet is taking great care of Abby. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Others have stated how he'll be uninterested in food for awhile while he recovers from major surgery. He's young and will bounce back quickly. God bless you for caring enough about him to get the surgery. All the best to ya :)

On my birthday last February my wife left the dining room for a minute. In that minute Andy ate the birthday cake ... along with the "Happy Birthday" letters attached to toothpicks. Urgh. The vet had us give him petroleum jelly for a couple days and said the wood would break down and get coated enough for him to poop out. Worked out, but man were we worried.

The other day he counter surfed a box of chocolate cake mix in the kitchen and tore it open on the dining room floor. He and Katie spread it all over the house on their feet. Took a solid hour to get it all cleaned up. Score one for their team! LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts