Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than another dog have you ever had anything else go after your dog?

With my current best friend, Woody, not really. He did get sprayed by a skunk but I wasn't there to witness it but he did bring home the results...

My bridge girl FeatherRiverSam had a donkey go after her once while fishing the Deschutes River up in Oregon. I tried to beat him off with my fly rod which wasn't much help. Fortunately no one was hurt we escaped through a gate.

We also had a long horn cow chase us both into a river once while I was fishing the Teton River...again the fly rod wasn't much help. I can still remember that old cow looking down on us from the bank, hoofing the ground, blowing steam out of its nose...it was a great fishing spot and I named it Mad Cow Meadows. Again no one was hurt, maybe humiliated a bit, but we both survived the event. We sure had some great adventures together. :)

I probably posted these stories previously but it was so long ago I'm not sure...old age is a bear. If so I'm sorry but maybe by now someone has some new stories to share?

Pete

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Oh... yes. :)

The scariest was probably the time (the last time, I might add) I took Jacks out into the pasture with me to retrieve my horse. It was all fine until Jacks had 3 horses crowding around him and checking him out. They were just curious and sniffing him, but OMG. They could have bit or kicked him!

The next scariest thing was the time we were challenged by a raccoon by the side of the road as we were going home on our daily walk. It was standing there on the side of the road and STARING US DOWN. I couldn't get past there fast enough. I had visions of teeth and claws coming at us ala the raccoon from Elf. Jacks was fascinated though... he gets excited every time we walk past that same spot... o_O

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
One of my previous dog decided to chase after a flock of Canadian Geese. Much to her surprise the geese did not fly off and chased her back to me. It was a great laugh to see my "bird dog" being chased by a flock of geese.

I have encountered black bears while walking my dogs in the woods but my dogs turned tail and ran back past me. The bears did not give chase thankfully.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Wild hogs and luckily copper only got a little scrape from the nasty boar's tusk before he decide to go back to the herd. These hogs attack dogs on sight since they are hunted with dogs and they sure do have a lot of attitude.
DH was forbiden to take the dogs on hikes while piglets were young after that. They had always run from the horses, but DH and the dogs were alone with only a hiking stick for protection.:doh:

We weren't attacked by a big rattlesnake, but Copper sure was circling it and barking.:doh: I told my friend to get on the other side of the trail and high tail it so Copper would follow. My other golden chance, was just jumping around in his usual "surfer pretty boy" fashion and I was afraid he would step on the snake.

DH did kill a little rattlesnake in the yard a few years ago (about 3'). Luckily Copper didn't notice it until the head had been removed, but he sure wanted to swallow the remains. He had a stomach of steel thank goodness.;)

Donkeys are put out withl livestock down here to provide protection from coyotes and wild dogs. many will attack a dog on sight.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Canadian geese HATE Ranger. Somehow we'll walk down the river pathway and the geese are ignoring all the other dogs. We walk by and they start hissing at us and stalking us, or mock charging us. Ranger won't back down either...it got a little scary once when one had goslings and chased us down the river path! Ranger kept trying to turn around and face it!

Ranger once thought a bear statue was attacking him.

Reactions: Laurie

·
Kristy
9,813 Posts
What funny stories, the geese chasing the bird dog in particular makes me laugh....

although the wild boar and the horses, not so funny... scary :( I was out riding with a group a few years ago when someone walking with a dog off leash burst out of the woods, and the dog charged at one of the horses... that horse swapped ends and mule kicked the dog into next week... it was one of the most upsetting things I've been through involving an animal and taught me a great lesson about not having my dog off leash no matter how remote I think am. I'm so glad that all your stories ended up ok...

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow!!! Great stories. I thought we might be hearing about raccoons, they'er something you don't want to mess around with!!! My neighbor woke up one night and heard something going on in his garage. He grabbed a pool cue and went to check up on it and found his pug being dragged away by a big raccoon. He said he couldn't believe his eyes. He was finally able to chase it off after a bit of a stand off and fortunately his dog wasn't hurt.

And geese are particularly defensive when the goslings are present - this I've seen. I'd of loved to have seen the look on your dogs face when they didn't take off.

Bears can be a problem...we were in Montana where grizzly bear warnings were posted on almost every other tree. We talked to a park ranger about it and said not to worry about the dog...your dog can easily out run you...

Wild boars, that would scare the H out of me...the stories I've heard aren't very pleasant.

Thankfully none of our dogs were hurt during these encounters!!!

Pete

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
My Bridge boy Beau was chased (out of water) by a big swan!

Toby was confronted by a feral momma cat early one morning on a walk and scared the tar out of both of us. Earlier Toby picked up a squirrel carcass in the dark on our walk and I couldn't get it out of his mouth. I decided to walk him towards the veterinary clinic in hopes one of the early morning attendants could give me some help by offering an enticing treat. Along the way we ran across a very cute kitten and I showed the kitten to Toby, who went over to say hi. Out of the darkness the kitten's mom rushed us and literally took the carcass out of Toby's mouth! We ran as fast as we could for about half a mile, then I stopped to check him out with my flashlight. He was fine, just scared like me. I don't think I got my heart rate down to normal for about an hour!

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Enzo had a momma duck go after him while he was going after the duck's babies out in the water. I think I might have pictures somewhere...I'll probably be back in a minute to update with a pic. lol

(p.s. no ducks or dogs were harmed - Enzo just got some wings flapped in his face, which surprised him and just sent him paddling back to me lol)

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's great...thank you for the smile. My father got a grizzley bear rug from a patient of his. He put it on the floor of his cabin one year and when by brother let his two English Setters in not knowing about the bear rug they came to a SLIDING HALT turned around and came flying out of the cabin with their tails between their legs!!! Poor guys had no idea it was a rug.

Reactions: Megora

·
MEG
1,568 Posts
I had a collie/retriever type cross called Sandie. Had to shout at her to 'Look Out' one day. Our flock of sheep were racing down the hill towards her. As I shouted she turned round and spotted them and was off, sheep in close pursuit.
Another day she went in to our 'barley beef house' (don't know what else to call it, it's the name we always used, cattle shed I suppose?). Anyway, I knew there was a sheep in there with lambs and i shouted 'don't go in there' but too late she came bowling out, sliding across the yard on her bum, having been butted by a very angry, protective ewe.
Don't think there was much collie in her, do you?

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't find my pics of the duck chasing Enzo, but here's a pic of Enzo chasing the ducks. lol

Cute picture...reminds of a time I was out fishing a big lake with a friend of mine and we had both our dogs with us. He had just rescued a Chessi. All of a sudden his Chessi took off after some ducks in the water - looked just like your picture - only Pat my fishing buddy couldn't get his dog to turn around...the dog just kept swimming after those ducks...fortunately when the dog was almost out of sight he finally turned around and came back...I don't think those ducks ever did take off.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Many years ago our old Golden, Fred, and I were walking down at a large lake, way off the regular paths. We made a turn and a possum was crossing the road. Fred ran to it, ignoring my calls. The possum had kits clinging to its back and when Fred got close, raised its ugly head, reared up and spat at him, with claws all exposed. Fred came to a screeching halt, looked at the possum for a split second and tail tucked ran not only to me, but butted me in the knee which caused me to plop down on my rear, but he keep running back up the path for home. Some hunting dog! I dusted off my pride and headed home too.
He also remembered that bend for the rest of the times we would come and would search the road for that darn possum. So glad he, nor the animal/babies were hurt, cause possums can be really mean when cornered.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have encountered black bears while walking my dogs in the woods but my dogs turned tail and ran back past me. The bears did not give chase thankfully.
Did they know the joke about not having to run too fast from a bear...., just faster than the "human" that they are with. How did fast did you run when they went running past you?

beth, moose and angel

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
My dog was attacked one time by a beautiful, serene swan.

We were walking along the waterfront, and I guess it was the first time she'd ever seen a swan. They were swimming right up to the edge of the elevated boardwalk thing where we were walking. They seemed very tame. Tesia stopped and sort of crouched down, very gently and slowly, as if to say, well, hellooo! And all of a sudden, the beautiful, serene swan exploded into a big angry mess and flapped and snapped at poor confused Tee.

I don't think she's ever gone near one again. :(

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
I remember that pic--it was hilarious! Maybe you should post it again :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts