Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10-week-old Australian Shepherd mix puppy, Ollie, has developed a case of mange on his head and chest. It's come on gradually over the past five or six days, but now he's looking pretty bald. I've spoken with my vet's office several times about it, and they're telling me that given his age, there's not really anything that I can do to treat it at this point. They're advising me to wait until he goes in for his booster shot on June 25th, as he will be 13 weeks old and could be treated if the mange is sarcoptic in nature. But if it's demodectic mange, he has to be 16 weeks old to start treatment.

Does anyone know of anything I can get OTC and use to at least keep the mange from spreading? Ollie is just as fiesty and playful as ever, but he is scratching a bit more than usual, and I'd hate for the mange to spread all over his body before he's old enough to be treated!

·
Kate
22,744 Posts
I know that your vet wants to wait before starting the treatment (ivermectim, right?), but ask if there is a shampoo you can use.

Demodectic Mange

I googled around and found this link. I have no idea if the solutions there to stop the itching work...

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
You have to be very careful in treating any dog with Aussie in it with ivermectin at extralabel dosages.... you can treat sarcoptic mange with Lym Sulfur dip. Demodex is treated totally differently with Mitaban dips. When using ivermectin, for sarcoptic mange, it is weekly. With demodex it is daily treatment. However, the general rule of thumb is if it has white feet, don't treat(with ivermctin). We don't do the extralabel ivermectin in collie, shelties, aussies, OES, etc.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
You can get (and I would recommend getting) a test for the defective gene that makes higher doses of ivermectin unsafe for some herding dogs. I guess I'm not sure why you would need to wait, I've not ever heard that.

Reactions: Enzos_Mom

·
Premium Member
18,608 Posts
Waiting will only let the infection spread. Please have a skin scrape done now to find out what type of mange it is.

Promeris has been used to treat both types, and Revolution can be used to treat sarcoptic mange.

But please have your vet do the skin scrape now, and discuss using one of the topicals to treat it. I don't know if either of these is ok for herding breeds or not but it would be worth discussing it.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I can't believe the vet wouldn't do some kind of treatment now!!
I'd get a 2nd opinion or ask him again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm assuming based on the age of your puppy that he has demodetic and not sarcoptic mange. Many times the puppies will outgrow this as their immune system catches up with their rapid growth spurts, which is probably why your Vet is recommending that you wait.​

I had a puppy with this last year and was just too uncomfortable waiting. I treated successfully with Benzyl Peroxide baths, but I can't remember how often - maybe every other day?? and a Preventic collar which contains the active ingredient of Amitraz. Amitraz is the same as the active ingredient in the Mitaban dips. However, I would still do this in collaboration with my Vet's advice. As I said, this worked well but I will never know for sure if the puppy would have outgrown it given time.

Preventic collars can't be worn while swimming or if wet. You also need to be cautious with other dogs who may play with and put their mouths on the collar.

I would not use Ivermectin on an Aussie mix without VERY close Veterinarian supervision.

Reactions: Dexell1827

·
Lubbin mi prends!
10,191 Posts
Lilly had mange as a puppy, too.
Supposedly it is a typical disease for an non mature immune status.
So I tried to support her with OTC for her immune system. I bought NK 9 (just google it) with mushroom extract. She outgrow it - NK 9 worked or helped, who knows....We never had to treat her with ivermectin, but she had it just mild. I do agree with what has been said, if this is spreading, you probably really want to have a second opinion on this.

Heike

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, all! I'll call my vet again and ask that they see Ollie tomorrow, and if they won't I'll look for another vet.

The reason I was given for the wait was that the products they use to treat the different types of mange are not recommended for puppies as young as Ollie, as they have not been proven safe.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Poor pup!

Jasper had demodex when he came in as a foster puppy, but the vet didn't do a scraping and gave me some antibiotic ointment on it and said it was just a skin infection. Within a week of my signing his adoption papers, the spots started growing so my own vet did a skin scraping which was positive for demodex. My vet gave me the mitaban and I dipped him myself at home. It was very stressful for him, but less stressful than his being at the vet's office. Once it was gone, it never came back, thank goodness.

My vet did warn me to only use steroids with him on emergency basis only. They suppress the immune system and can lower it enough for the demodex to flare up.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to the vet's office on my lunch break and stood at the counter until they gave me an appointment. :) They couldn't squeeze him in tomorrow, but he'll be there bright and early Saturday morning.

What should I expect at the appointment? I know a few of you mentioned a skin scraping...what does that involve?

·
and Cooper
598 Posts
Skin scraping is quick and not painful, but a bit uncomfortable. They basically scrape the skin with a scalpel or blade but just a bit. it might bleed a tiny bit. They do so because the parasite that causes mange lives just under the skin. Then, they look at the scrapings through a microscope to determine if it's really mange and what kind.

Ivermectin shouldn't be used on any Collie or Old English Shepherd, including Aussies. Due to a defective gene that these breeds often carry, it can be seriously harmful and even cause brain damage or death.

But there are special shampoos or products with which you dip the puppy's skin that should be safe for such a young pup. I am not familiar with the brand names in the US, here we call it Azadieno. I have used it in pups at 8+ weeks, and usually after three weekly baths they were completely cured.

I agree with not waiting, as the mange will only spread more if you do. And you should carefully wash crates, blankets, dog beds and everything that was in contact with the pup. Ask the vet for specific cleaning products!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I do think you need to be careful with medications containing Amitraz and young puppies. The dip (Mitaban) is only recommended for puppies greater then 4 months.

Promaris is a topical flea and tick preventative that also contains Amitraz and is what my Vet originally recommended for Kobe. Promaris reportedly can be used on younger puppies, however when I read all the side effects and problems reported I declined to try it - well, actually I returned it:) Production of Promaris has now been halted, though you can continue to buy the medication through this fall. Do a google search, read up on it and be informed when you walk into see your Vet on Saturday.

I choose to go with the Preventic collar since even though the medication is absorbed systemically I figured I could always remove it if necessary and limit the dosage in the long term. However, I do think the Benzyl Peroxide shampoo in conjuction with the collar was an important part of this treatment regimin. The preventic collar was not something my Vet recommended, I came up with this myself after a lot of discussion wtih other people who had experienced the same problem. I don't know if this is a standard treatment protocol or not, but it is certainly worth talking to your Vet about.

Good Luck and let us know what happens on Saturday.

Reactions: Dexell1827

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
My vet recommended I use Revolution on my cat who has some undetermined problem causing him to lose his hair between his legs - they "think" it might be skin mites and we aren't skin scraping there!:doh:

I put Revolution on him a couple of weeks ago and he seems to be improving. It will be a little while longer before I am sure though. I also don't know how safe it would be for a pup that young or an aussie mix.

He is a cutie though and I hope they get fixed up quickly!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Revolution is a good treatment for sarcoptic mange, but not demodectic mange. This is a geat example of why a skin scrapping and accurate diagnosis is important in determining the correct treatment.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a pic of Ollie, taken tonight. Poor quality shot (black dog & low light make for poor pictures), but it does show most of his hair loss:

·
Lubbin mi prends!
10,191 Posts
ohhh - he is very cute!!!
Thanks for sharing,

Heike

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We were at the vet first thing this morning, and after a half-hearted effort at getting a skin scraping from a wiggling Ollie, the vet said they'd have to put him under general anesthesia to get a scraping without cutting him. I expressed my reluctance to have Ollie put under at such a young age , but the vet was adamant that it needed to be done. So I had to leave him there, and they'll call me when they're done. And of course my mind is racing with horrible thoughts of everything that could go wrong. :no:

·
Lubbin mi prends!
10,191 Posts
Is he done? How did it go?
Is it common to do skin skraping under general anesthesia?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I think I'd consider changing vets. They really shouldn't have to put a puppy under general to get a skin scraping!

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts