Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

61 - 80 of 239 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,114 Posts
Haha, he's not mean, he just has a little attitude!

·
Super Moderator
17,114 Posts
He's found something very interesting in there. A muddy golden is a happy golden. Know what you mean about the residue though, good job it wasn't manure like my Barnaby rolled in on a few occasions!

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
He's found something very interesting in there. A muddy golden is a happy golden. Know what you mean about the residue though, good job it wasn't manure like my Barnaby rolled in on a few occasions!
Yes he was quite content and also enjoyed getting close to his parents to shake. What a guy! Yes manure would be particularly delightful to clean up. Fortunately we have a temperature controlled outdoor spigot and he like baths almost as much as he likes rolling scat and mudding!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
What a beautiful boy. Rukie enjoys keeping a stuffed animal in his mouth also and for the last few days, he's been carrying two at a time.

·
Super Moderator
17,114 Posts
Great photo of the lovely Oscar. Barnaby had one just like it, unfortunately it ended up having surgery in my "Stuffed Animal Hospital"!.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Great photo of the lovely Oscar. Barnaby had one just like it, unfortunately it ended up having surgery in my "Stuffed Animal Hospital"!.
For some reason Oscar has never destroyed a toy. This has resulted in a huge collection!

·
Super Moderator
17,114 Posts
Hot or Happy, he looks gorgeous!

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Oscar's First? Swim

Off we went to a local pond today to see how Oscar swims. He has waded around in our pond but I can't go in with him because of the leeches. We used a boat launch area with a gently graded entrance to the water and no people. He waded in with me but refused to have his feet leave the bottom. So I picked him up, which he never minds in the least and carried him out to where he could not touch, and off he paddled! He went right back to the shore and could not be coaxed to come in on his own power. Two more trips out being carried with swims back and we were done for the day. So we know he can swim but it may not be one of his favorite things to do. Right now I am 0 for 2. Minimal interesting in swimming and no interest in chasing balls. I wonder what he did for entertainment in Istanbul. Oh and there will be a significant amount of Advil in my future...

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,394 Posts
Great picture of Oscar, he's a good looking boy.

Most retrievers love swimming but not all of them.
Maybe put a kiddie wading pool in your backyard for him, he may be content laying in it to cool off.

Sounds like he's really enjoying his stuffies.

Hope your back isn't too sore.... take care of yourself.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Yes, my second golden "Hudson" preferred to run around the outside of pools and bark rather than swim. He also wagged his tail up and down and when not agitated by swimming pools barked twice a year. They certainly are all unique. We were planning on getting Oscar a wading pool but because of the rare heat wave in VT they have vanished from the stores,

I do find it really funny that he does not mind in the least when I carry him around. Discovered this when we first brought him home and he did not know how to climb stairs so I had to carry him up so we could keep an eye on him at night.

I love all of their quirky traits!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Does Oscar like sticks? We lured Rukie into a pond by getting him all excited about a stick and then throwing it in the water, a little farther each time. He started really liking it. My Tawny would swim any where and loved going out and just swimming around. Honeybear would get sticks and swim back but never really loved it. They are all different.

I don't know for sure but I imagine in Istanbul all there was not much opportunity for entertainment, only survival.

61 - 80 of 239 Posts