Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Col (5 months) has lost her incisors a good while ago and pre-molars are flying left and right (yay for bloody drool during bitey face :yuck:). By looking at her gums and teeth, it looks to me like the canines are still the deciduous teeth.

Aren't those supposed to fall before the pre-molars ? Did anybody have a pup who lost the pre-molars first ?

I hope she will not have retained baby teeth because we are not planning to spay at 6 months and I would hate for her to have to be put under just for extracting those :no:

·
Spockles
59 Posts
It look our pups canine teeth a while to fall out. Once they were loose and then the adult teeth started coming in right by them. Those canine teeth just wanted to hang on! Eventually they did fly out during a good game of tug with her rope. :) Our girl is 5 months also.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Molly's case, the canines were the very last ones to go.
Good to know so I do not have to fret yet. Do you remember around what age ?

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
In Molly's case, the canines were the very last ones to go.
This was out experience as well.

I don't know all the names of the teeth - but the front teeth went first, then the molars, then the canine teeth went

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Kate
20,437 Posts
See my toothy panic threads re/Bertie. :)

He was pushing 6 months and had double rows of teeth. >.<

Talking with some people at class who breed/show dogs, they got all wild-eyed and told me that if that ever happens to have the teeth removed rather than risk the bite being messed up. <- Fortunately, they dropped out and he has a good bite.

·
Golden Lover
440 Posts
Our Kylie is 17 weeks, she will be 18 weeks this Thursday. She is loosing her front teeh and lower front teeth now. She is also cutting canines. We haven't seen any teeth laying around, she must have swallowed them. She is chewing her moose antler constantly, She loves it.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See my toothy panic threads re/Bertie. :)

He was pushing 6 months and had double rows of teeth. >.<

Talking with some people at class who breed/show dogs, they got all wild-eyed and told me that if that ever happens to have the teeth removed rather than risk the bite being messed up. <- Fortunately, they dropped out and he has a good bite.
I will for your toothy panic threads. Yep, I know that the baby teeth need to go if they crowd the permanent ones. That's what I am hoping will not happen.

Got a look in her mouth. She has one pre-molar left to go and I did not see any sign of grown up canines yet. However, as easily as she lets me lift her lips to look at the gums and teeth from the outside, she is not a fan of the whole gaping mouth so I can look from the back.

I will probably contact the breeder soon to see where the girl pup they kept is as far as tooth loss. We also have a vet appointment less than a week from now so he'll be able to tell me better what's going on. She is not intended to show but I'll still like for her to have the best bite as possible.

·
the party's crashing us
4,172 Posts
incisors --> premolars --> molars --> canines

right on schedule

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
incisors --> premolars --> molars --> canines

right on schedule
Thank you. Great to know she is on schedule and all is going in the right order. I won't mourn the loss of the vampire fangs (I hope to find one as I have three of the premolars) even though she is doing really well by now with not nipping and is using a soft mouth the few times there is contact.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Goodbye, puppy teeth

After I got concerned just a little while ago about the right order of tooth loss, Col lost her last 2 canines yesterday. :yes: I was able to collect 3 pre-molars and those two :).

I am both happy for her to get her grown-up chompers and a bit nostalgic (already) about her leaving early puppyhood.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts