Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I wanted to see what peoples opinion was on the safest oral flea medication to give your pup? I have a golden retriever who has experienced side effects from credelio and she’s on bravecto now but I don’t think I’ll be re-dosing since she’s throwing up. I am aware of the side effects of oral treatments but fleas are a big problem in my area and it’s not really a choice. I was recommended bravecto by my vet tech but I have a lot of friends who like Comfortis or nexgaurd. Any thoughts? Much appreciated! Just want the safety of my baby in mind as much as possible. Thank you! Cross posted

·
Super Moderator
1,167 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Here are some recent threads that will get you started on information gathering.

I am sure you will also get posts to your thread on this topic which seems to be on many people's minds.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I always forget how spoiled we are..NO FLEAS in Reno, Nevada!

It would be a very difficult decision as what to use, and I wish you the best with your choice. No ticks either, but they are not far away..about 25 miles to the Toyabe National forest at Lake Tahoe!

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
We used comfortis in the puppy ages as the weight changed each month. I use Bravecto and have been fortunate to not have any problems. But any medication can have reactions, much like diet... you have to find what works for your dog.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
problem w oral meds is they can't really be removed if there IS an issue. IF you have done Bravecto without major issues, NexGard might be a good choice for you. It's (if my own tick magnet Bourbon is an indicator) a good tick choice. I don't have fleas and don't want them so I don't really have any flea info to add, but when we show in a flea worry area, I just give the dogs a Capstar as we are leaving and hope they all hop off before we get in the van.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,734 Posts
I have been giving my guys Nexgard the last 4-5 years with no problems.
When I give the Nexgard, I give it around the middle of the month, usually on the 15th.
I give HW preventative on the 1st of every month. I only give each on a day when I know I am going to be home all day long in case there is a reaction or problem. My boy is 11 now.

·
Super Moderator
940 Posts
My Clumber uses Bravecto with no problem. My Goldens use Nexgard with no problem. Since my Lab is a dog that's bred, she uses Frontline (but that's not an oral med).

·
Registered
588 Posts
Even though there seem to be few problems with these meds atm,.....I would always be concerned about the cumulative effects over time. Note: I am lucky and we have no fleas, thus I don't use any flea meds..

There multiple threads on multiple dog forums, on the net where folks state their preferences for these meds, and why.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm in Mn and we have a lot of ticks. I have used Frontline Plus in the past with my other dogs. Last year my Vet recommend Frontline Gold. My Golden had a reaction to it. She was pacing and panting after I gave it to her. My Vet told me to use the Frontline Plus on her as it had different ingredients. That one worked just fine. It works on fleas and ticks. Thankfully I have never had to deal with fleas and even as heavily ticked we are I haven't had a problem with them either.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yes,someone finally mentioned "cumulative effects".We do not have longterm proper data on this new age drugs but a lot misfortunes which cannot be ignored.This is a huge sector which is scary .I'd rather go old school than applying or giving anything oral to my dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts