Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

We haven't had our 7-month old spayed yet but we're considering getting it done in the next few weeks. I know there are different schools of thought on when the optimal time is to get a dog spayed (wait until the growth plates close). I read through research study material and the consensus seems to be waiting longer is better for the pup and will reduce other medical risks. Kind of going back and forth on this with my wife - risk of Honey getting pregnant while we wait until she's 18 months - 2 years old vs. the long term potential medical risks of getting her spayed too soon. Big-time dilemma. I'd like to know what the forum thinks on this issue. Perhaps some breeders can weigh-in as well. Thank you

·
Registered
97 Posts
Will be following this - we are getting our first GR in two weeks! We will be accepting the breeder's advice, as well as our own vet's, but it's always good to hear from other owners.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I can tell you that we have had two female Goldens. Both were spayed at around 6-7 months, before their first heat. Both lived to approximately age 14 and had no medical issues along the way.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,938 Posts
I would say no earlier that 12-14 months as early spay (before 12 months) increases risk of lymphoma and hemangiosarcoma and late spay increased hemangiosarcoma every more and possible MST (mass cell tumors) like mammary tumors but that not concrete evidence for MST yet.

Also, early spay/neuter leads them to grow for a long period of time, growth plates closer later then they should, so you get tall and lanky Golden's which tends to lead to torn CCL's (ACL)

Dogs that stay intact really have no increased risk of anything mentioned above.

I'm not saying my girl. She'll be 3 in October and won't be spayed unless a medical reason like pyo. Those hormones help protect them and are needed through out life. The longer they have them, the better of they should be. To keep them intact, you just need to be responsible during those heat cycle (about 3-4weeks once or twice a year)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hi everyone,

We haven't had our 7-month old spayed yet but we're considering getting it done in the next few weeks. I know there are different schools of thought on when the optimal time is to get a dog spayed (wait until the growth plates close). I read through research study material and the consensus seems to be waiting longer is better for the pup and will reduce other medical risks. Kind of going back and forth on this with my wife - risk of Honey getting pregnant while we wait until she's 18 months - 2 years old vs. the long term potential medical risks of getting her spayed too soon. Big-time dilemma. I'd like to know what the forum thinks on this issue. Perhaps some breeders can weigh-in as well. Thank you
I would wait if you can. Look in your contract too. In my contract, it said no spay/neuter until the dog is 18 months.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Our Kona is just over 8 months. We are waiting until at least 12 months to spay, but no more than 1 heat cycle.

The "at least 12 months" is driven by concerns about impacts on skeletal development and downstream cancer. While we're likely not going to go through 2 heat cycles, the studies on cancers is encouraging us to wait longer.

A secondary rationale for "spay before second heat" is the potential impact on mammary tumors/cancers, although this is definitely a secondary consideration.

We figure we can handle one heat cycle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We fixed our first female at six months and she lived to 13 with no medical issues. We needed to wait until after the first heat for our current female due to hooded vulva concerns and breeder recommendation. She just had her first heat at 14 months. The entire heat process is a pain, but doable. Thank goodness for bitches britches!!!!!!!! I wouldn't want to go through another heat again. We have her spay appointment set for late September.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts